5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2012 12:03 AM by Amit Kumar Gupta

Cannot see playback.

kongbrew

For some reason my Premiere Elements will not let me see playback.  It seems stuck on the screen that says: "To add Menu drag Template here."  I've rebooted, restored the computer.  Tried other projects.  And still get the same thing.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Cannot see playback.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what you're saying, Kong.

But if you're saying that as soon as you launch the program you're on the Disc Layout screen, you need to go to the Window menu and select Restore Workspace.

If there's more to it than that, you've got to tell us more about what's happening when.

• 2. Re: Cannot see playback.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When PrE loads, there is a very brief (usually) instant, where the Menu Editing screen shows. It goes by so quickly, that most never even see it. However, with some large Projects, I have seen it for a split second, before the Project and the normal editing GUI loads.

For some reason, it seems that PrE is hanging, at that Menu Editing screen.

As a test, create a New Project, that matchs some test footage, that you have lying around. Import that test footage, and drag to the Timeline. Does normal playback work in this test Project? If so, then Save that test Projecct, and close it out. Then Open that Project again, and see if you get all the way back to the normal GUI. Does it come up?

With GUI display issues, I strongly going to the video card's mfgr's. Web site, and downloading, then installing the very latest video driver for your card and OS.

Good luck, and let us know how the tests work out, please.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Cannot see playback.
              kongbrew Level 1

Hi Bill,

I gave up and ran out and bought Premiere 10 and updated from 9.  I didn't need to spend the money, but I was on a very tight deadline and lost several hours.

I had tried opening new projects, old projects, rebooting and everything. I had updated the video driver. It just would not get out of the Menu editing screen.

After installing 10, the problem went away.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I've been a loyal Photoshop and Premiere user for a long time and this was the first major problem I've had.

Thanks

Thom

• 4. Re: Cannot see playback.
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not knowing why something happened MAY mean it will happen again... some automatic update or some option you clicked may cause future problems

While things are working...

Hardware crashes or virus infections or simple software problems happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work

This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 5. Re: Cannot see playback.
                  Amit Kumar Gupta Adobe Employee

If this was a hang, most probably this was because of another program like Anti-virus.