4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 5:26 PM by LABBIE12

Stop asking "Where is the file"

LABBIE12

Hi all!

I'm new and this is my first post! I've been using various versions of PE for years and am currently working with 8. It's taken me years to get to a level of video production that I'd consider decent. I guess I'm a slow learner but seem to get a little better each time! One of the things that I haven't been able to figure out is how to get the program to stop asking me where a certain file or files are when you open a project. I find it easiest for me to reuse or copy and rename an existing project file to avoid starting fresh with all new set ups each time. But when doing it that way it's always looking for files that I once used but no longer want and I've deleted them from their original location. I just click "Skip All" every time but it does get annoying after a while. I've tried clearing the cache and even archiving projects but it still asks me every time. Does anyone know a way to get it to stop asking me this at least until I remove a file from it's selected location again? Is there some hidden cache or something?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

• 1. Re: Stop asking "Where is the file"
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you've removed files from your computer, they'll appear in your Project/Media panel as a double-headed arrow, indicating that there's no longer a connection

Just select each (or several), right-click and select Clear to permanently remove them from your project and you won't get those annoying "Find" messages next time you open it.

• 2. Re: Stop asking "Where is the file"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

PrE is asking "Where is file ____ ?" because the link to a file, or files, has been broken.

The PREL (Project file) is but an XML database, and it contains links to where files were, when Imported. Those links are Absolute Paths, so if anything changes, the link(s) is/are broken, and PrE can no longer find them. PrE provides a Finder, to help locate the files in the broken links. PrE's Finder is pretty handy, as when the user navigates to the file with the first broken link, it will then check for any other files, linked in that PREL, and establish links to those too. If the files, with the broken links, are scattered about one's system, then the user will need to navigate to all folders for those files, and help PrE relink.

The main reasons for files to become unlinked is that the Path has changed. This could be because files were Moved, Renamed, Deleted, or the drive letter has changed. If the files are on externals, the latter is likely to happen, but if one establishes the permanent drive letter in the system's OS, then each time that it is turned on, the OS will assign THAT drive letter to it.

For some additional reading, see this ARTICLE on the PREL.

Then, this ARTICLE on using externals.

And last this ARTICLE on Media Offline, and the Absolute Paths being changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stop asking "Where is the file"
              LABBIE12 Level 1

Thank you Steve! It was simpler than I thought and did exactly what I wanted! That's been bugging me for quite some time now and I finally know how to resolve it. You're genius!

Jim

• 4. Re: Stop asking "Where is the file"
                LABBIE12 Level 1

Thank you for responding Hunt! I understand its purpose and agree that it's a great asset when it's needed!

Jim