1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 6:09 AM by Peter Celuch

Resizing a high resolution Flash video to a smaller size problem

aksundog75

Hello,

Please help if you can point me a way out of the issue I'm facing.

My company sent me a video that they wanted us to post on the intranet.  It's a simple powerpoint video with a narrator talking about some policy and benefit changes, etc.

I tried the exporting the video in both 720(width) and 1280 format, and found that when shown in fullscreen mode, the 1280 format was much easier to read than the 720, however, we didn't want to show it on the intranet page at full 1280 by default.  So I modified the html and javascript that plays the movie so that it would show in 720 width on the page.  The problem with resizing the 1280 video into a 720 space is that the video player bar (where the play, stop, volume controls are) becomes extremely small when I do this.  Of course, this is because Flash generated the player with a toolbar optimized for 1280, so it's getting scaled down when I pack it into a smaller playing area.

Is there an solution to this that I haven't thought of?  How can I generate this movie to get the better full screen appearance of the 1280 video, but also still show the video in a smaller 720 area when the user is not in full screen mode?

Any tips would be great.

• 1. Re: Resizing a high resolution Flash video to a smaller size problem
          Peter Celuch Level 4

What happens now is that you created big swf with big video object in it and resize it by scaling the whole swf document. What you should be doing is disable stage scaling, set stage registration point to top left and set video size according to stage width and stage height.

The component should rearrange its parts to new size without scaling them.

import flash.display.StageScaleMode;
          import flash.display.StageAlign;

stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE:
          stage.align = StageAlign.TOP_LEFT;

myVideoComponent.width = stage.stageWidth;
          myVideoComponent.height = stage.stageHeight;

// or if available:
          // myVideoComponent.size(stage.stageWidth, stage.stageHeight);