11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 7:17 AM by Eliran S

Working on footage is quite slow

Eliran S

Hi all,

After purchasing a new system and moving into cs5.5, work is quite slow.

I have diffuclties editing footage, the entire program feels laggy and not smooth to work with.

I don't think its hardware related (I really hope not) but I guess its the settings or working method.

As for why I don't think its hardware related, i'm editing a movie (DV footage) which I started editing on a very old system, using premiere pro, where it was smooth work.

There is no reason why the new system can't handle this type of material.

The material:

I'm editing weddings, some of the films are DV tapes transcoded into avi and some avchd 25fps/30fps.

The work station:

i7 2600k 3.4 (not oc),4x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X Edition Dual Channel CL7-8-7-2, gtx 560 ti 1gb ddr5.

One 7200 rpm black caviar for OS (C Drive), 4 hdd *1T caviar black 7200 in raid 0 (D Drive), one 2t green for backups (E Drive).

The work flow:

The projects are being created in D drive, scratch disks/preview/etc are saved in 'Same as Project'.

while editing i'm not rendering the footage, not prior the editing process nor in the middle.

Please advise on the matter, I'm open minded about OC is well if it will help.

Thanks & Regards,

Eliran.

• 1. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
          JFPhoton Level 3

....just a thought.....although others, esp. Harm Millard would have a more detailed and knowledgeable answer for you.....based on what I have seen them discuss in earlier posts...you may be suffering for having 4 drives in an "onboard RAID".....the best configuration, as commonly built by ADK company, with your hardware would be to split your 4 "D drive" HDDs into two separate RAID 0s, ( 2 drives on each RAID). Without a dedicated RAID controller,( Areca card,or similar), 4 drives off the onboard RAID will not work well.  For onboard RAID off the motherboard, 2 RAID 0 groups perform very high in the benchmark test " PPBM5"....check it out.

Then, see Harm's chart on this forum for what to place on each of the three drives you would now have....hope this helps.....JFPhoton

• 2. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
            Harm Millaard Level 7

A new system with a new installation of Windows needs to be tuned for optimal performance, because Windows turns on a number of things that are not needed at all but do seriously slow down the editing experience.

Although it says Vista, it also applies to Win7: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

Make sure you have indexing and compression turned off on all drives and arrays, uninstall the Sidebar, MSN and Games. Disable anti-virus, anti-anything during editing sessions, disable superfluous processes and services, kill processes like mDNSresponder, jusched, and the like.

• 3. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
              flyingfish4

I'm geetting ready to build a similar system.

I'd rather not get a 2nd computer to web surf, etc. if possible.

Can I tell MS Security Essentials to simply not bother PPro operations as well as other program operations and thereby leave it on while editing?

Seems like with 16GB RAM you should be able to do whatever?

Or should you allocate 4 to 8GB for other things besides PPro?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
                Eliran S Level 1

Thanks Harm and JFPhoton.

I'm following the above steps and will report in a few hours to this thread.

• 5. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
                  Eliran S Level 1

Hey,

I went through all the posts and guides..

In short, stopped services, uninstalled rubbish programs, disabled anti virus, updated drivers, installed relevant updates, stripped visual and maxed the performance every where I could.

Installed ccleaner to disable all the unnecessary programs, cleaned the registry, etc.

And the most important thing, separated the 4 disks array into 2*2 raid 0 arrays using the on board raid controller.

So now my setup is as following:

C drive, 500gb for os& progs

D drive (raid 0, 2*2 1tb black 7200 rpm) for new projects

E drive (2TB green 7200 rpm) for backups

F drive (raid 0, 2*2 1tb black 7200 rpm) for Scratch, Pagefile, Renders.

How is this for the setup? anything else you guys can think off?

Do you recommend OC'ing? or it should be enough for the time being and the system shouldn't feel laggy with this rig?

Edit: Speed increased rapidly while working, now moving segments of files is being done quickly.

The problem is, viewing the image in the time line is still laggy and bumpy.

I need to zoom in and just then I can have a more smooth image, but it's not possible this rig will act like this.

Is it something to do with the GPU?

Thanks,

Eliran.

• 6. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
                    JFPhoton Level 3

...you may want to make sure that indexing and compression are turned off for each drive ...then set the windows page file to a fixed number,,( same minimum and maximum amount on one of your raid arrays....that figure should be at least 1.5 to 2 times your installed memory )...then make sure you allocate your " media cache" and media data files on one of the raid arrays....probably the one with your previews.....the video source files should be on the first raid array with your project files. Of course, these would be copies of your original files which would already be safely backed up before you placed them on a RAID 0 array!! Next, you should make sure drives are defragged, then testhem for speed with a HDD utility like HD Tune Pro, or similar to verify good HDD performance....finally, go to PPBM5 website and test your machine and submit the results....with that data, people on this forum may be able to help you further...DV footage should go easily on your rig...is your video card working with "the hack" giving you the MPE hardware mode??  Good luck all this! 

JFPhoton

• 7. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
                      rowby Level 1

Hi Harm

This link seems to be ng. 

Although it says Vista, it also applies to Win7: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

Any update for the link?

Thanks

Rowby

• 8. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The recent Jive update seems to have messed with the bookmarks.

Try again Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

• 10. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
                          Eliran S Level 1

Dear friends,

JFPhoton, thanks for all the advices, I have already done all of these including the MPE hack.

Harm, thanks for a most detailed guide which really increased the speed of the comp as I have mentioned.

Bill, link is broken, Did you mention this one: http://ppbm5.com/Win7Tuning.html? I'm starting to read it right now.

After i'll read Bill's guide, i'll run ppbm benchmark again, currently this is my score:

nkDate

Computer ID*

TypeManufacturer

Motherboard*

Brand CPUModel CPUClock speedCPUPhys. Cores# RAMTotalRPIDisk I/OMPEG DVDH.264 BRMPE OffMPE OnMPE GainVersionVideo cardWindowsOSSize OSSpeed OS# OSRaid OSProjectSize ProjectSpeed project#Raid Project# HDDRaid controller
                          1802011-10-28 12:18:30Medieval#1DesktopAsusP8Z68 V ProInteli7-2600K3.414163052.7910312373906155.5GTX 560Win7 64SATA50072001
                          SATA100072004Raid 05On-board

Thanks again guys, you are really helping me out.

Eliran.

• 11. Re: Working on footage is quite slow
                            Eliran S Level 1

Hello again,

After all the changes I have made I got the results:

RankDate

Computer ID*

TypeManufacturer

Motherboard*

Brand CPUModel CPUClock speedCPUPhys. Cores# RAMTotalRPIDisk I/OMPEG DVDH.264 BRMPE OffMPE OnMPE GainVersionVideo cardWindowsOSSize OSSpeed OS# OSRaid OSProjectSize ProjectSpeed project#Raid Project# HDDRaid controller
                            1002011-10-31 19:37:52GarthRhymerDesktopAsusP8p67 ProInteli7-2600K(OC) 4.414162322.375711059726125.5GTX 470Win7 64SATA100072001
                            SATA100072002Raid 05On-board
                            1492011-11-05 15:39:23Medieval#2DesktopAsusP8Z68 V ProInteli7-2600K3.414162742.76912673906155.5GTX 560Win7 64SATA50072001
                            SATA100072002Raid 05On-board
                            1812011-10-28 12:18:30Medieval#1DesktopAsusP8Z68 V ProInteli7-2600K3.414163052.7910312373906155.5GTX 560Win7 64SATA50072001
                            SATA100072004Raid 05On-board

Well, it's clearly faster, especially in the Disk I/O, the main change was to re organize the 4 disk raid 0 array (using the on board controller) to two separate arrays (2 disks in each array), resulting much better speed.

How ever the problem persists, not only that but now the CPU freeze every now and then, causing me to lose time and data..

The only thing I'm thinking off after all the modification I have done, is to re install windows from scratch including any other software.

I'll be glad to hear your thoughts about this matter.

Thanks,

Eliran.