23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 9:56 AM by Grant H

.ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)

kweingartz23

We have an InDesign document that is comprised of a few dozen Illustrator line drawings (garments)  that have been built individually using layers and are viewed/imported in InDesign through import options and turning off/on said individual layers. The line drawings sometimes have patterns within the images, but have mostly been cleaned up for extra points.

Obviously, this is a big strain on InDesign when it comes to printing (as it errors out), or saving to a PS or PDF file (as it also errors out).

Does anyone know of a way to either embed the images individually after they're imported to break the tedious working file (like place it as a rasterized file), or "flatten the images", or help to at least make it so our press printer doesn't have to spend a weekend ripping the file?

ANY help you can give would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
          tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

Embedding the artwork would only make it worse. Why not try exporting an image file from Illustrator if your work is too complex? To do that, simply go to File > Export and choose the format you'd prefer to use. If you choose PSD you'll also get options for keeping layers or a flat image.

Hope that helps!

• 2. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
            Grant H Level 4

Why not try exporting an image file from Illustrator if your work

No not a good workflow...

firstly Did you place the illustrator files in ID or copy pasted them?
            G

• 3. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
              kweingartz23 Level 1

Hi Grant

We placed them rather than copy-paste.

• 4. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                tonyharmer Level 3

I think the original message stated that they were placed.

imported in InDesign through import options and turning off/on said individual layers.

Although admittedly less than ideal, exporting as PSD would still give you the option to turn layers on and off as you require.

• 5. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                  Grant H Level 4

We placed them rather than copy-paste.

Ah: Ok... mis read...

• 6. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                    kweingartz23 Level 1

Agreed that it's less than ideal, we have about 80 different product images that yield at least 3 different colorways per image (which is why we built it using layers in illustrator)...

Any other solutions?

• 7. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                      tonyharmer Level 3

Hmmn. Is there any chance I could get hold of a representative .ai file that I could look at for you?

• 8. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                        Grant H Level 4

i hate suggesting this but to embed on oject: select the link in the links panel: in the context menu (Top right) click on Embed Link

G

• 9. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                          tonyharmer Level 3

Additionally, one route you could explore is to break your document down, if that is at all possible.

You could try doing separate sections as separate documents and composing them into a book file, for instance.

• 10. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                            Grant H Level 4

actually what i would do first is save a copy of the AI file, then in the placed Illy file expand the appearance (at least of all the pattern objects and brush strokes).

G

• 11. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                              tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

I may have found a solution for you that is quite simple, and appears to work when I have tested it.

May I ask, what version of Illustrator you are running, please?

• 12. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                kweingartz23 Level 1

Here's the final file content... For example, each image is one single illustrator document, with the colors built in different layers for ease of placement.

I'm running CS5.5Sample area indd.png

• 14. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                  tonyharmer Level 3

Thank you. (and I've jsut seen your update on the version, that's ok I knew what you meant)

Ok, could you try this, please (there are other solutions, but this one might just 'do the trick').

In your Illustrator file target the layer appearance (image below)

appearancePanel.png

Go to the effects menu and choose Rasterize...

Do that for each layer.

What should happen here is that the layers are treated as Images on PDF export.

Give it a try and let me know, please.

• 15. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                    Grant H Level 4

Go to the effects menu and choose Rasterize...

No dont: patterns dont rasterize well with that command

Try the expand route as i mentioned.

G

• 16. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                      kweingartz23 Level 1

Thanks to both of you for your help!
                                      I'd rather not lose the patterns that are applied as these are pretty important to the document.

Grant - could you tell me where to find the "expand appearance" in InDesign? or are you saying to do it in Illustrator?

• 17. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                        Grant H Level 4

In illustrator

• 18. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                          tonyharmer Level 3

No dont: patterns dont rasterize well with that command

Try the expand route as i mentioned.

Firstly, that patterns do not rasterize well is categorically untrue.

Secondly, expanding the patterns is likely to compound the problem.

Thirdly, no patterns would be lost at all with the rasterize effect applied to the layer.

Finally - there is no expand appearance command in InDesign, it is in Illustrator and any pattern flexibility would be lost if you chose this command.

You are of course, at liberty to suit yourself.

• 19. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                            Grant H Level 4

Firstly, that patterns do not rasterize well is categorically untrue.

Illy is NOT photoshop, that said, certain effects needing raterization work well... depending on the object. I stand by what I say: patterns dont rasterize well with that command...

Secondly, expanding the patterns is likely to compound the problem.

Incorrect: Loads of Brushed strokes and some patterns especially complex ones require huge amounts of processing power Illy or what ever has to keep recalculating width shapes lengths curve and so on, and will do so every time the display changes and on exporting from ID to PDF once again... by expanding appearence the programme has a LOT less to do... I can go on about this but wont...

Thirdly, no patterns would be lost at all with the rasterize effect applied to the layer.

yes but still holds the vector info, and does not always raster effect well...

it is in Illustrator and any pattern flexibility would be lost if you chose this command.

Thats why i said make a copy to revert back to

G

• 20. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                              kweingartz23 Level 1

Are you guys saying there's no solution within indesign, that we would have to go back to the illustrator files and alter them?

We'll try both options and see what works for us. I'll give an update within the next day or so.

Thanks again to you both.

• 21. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                                tonyharmer Level 3

You ought to do a bit more reading before resorting to the caps.

Everything ultimately becomes a raster graphic anyway, at the end of the print stream. Provided you have selected the correct raster effects settings and anti-aliasing options your artwork will when printed be indisinguishable. Adobe recommends the rasterization of complex effects such as Bristle Brush strokes. While there may be some improvement with the expansion of pattern fills, appearances do not need to be expanded and indeed, there may be a significant amount of additional cleaning up required after such an operation.

Mordy Golding has the following to say about expanding appearances:

Although some people don't trust Illustrator and expand all appearances before sending final files off to print, we don't condone such behavior. There is no risk in printing files with appearances—they print just fine. Additionally, expanding your appearances limits your options if you have to make a last-minute edit or if your printer has to adjust your file.

Rasterizing as an effect could well be the best of both worlds.

Saving copies is hardly a smooth workflow - there is a huge scope for errors with having multiple copies of dcouments to work with.

Also, would you please note the extensive use of the words "may", "could", "should" throughout my posts. The point of kweingartz23 posting to this community was to ask for help and for people to provide suggestions on how they could "flatten the image" or "place it as a rasterized file".

• 22. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Obviously, this is a big strain on InDesign when it comes to printing (as it errors out), or saving to a PS or PDF file (as it also errors out).

Just what are the errors? That's absolutely critical information to answering your question properly!

• 23. Re: .ai overload in Indesign (CS5.5)
                                                    Grant H Level 4

Everything ultimately becomes a raster graphic anyway, at the end of the print stream

... dude, ther is far more to RIP 'ing  then raster effects in AI.... any way: And yes: some patterns will "raster" well, but a lot WONT.

My suggestion was to eliminate any complex brush/patterns from processing on export to  simple paths/strokes. regarding making a copy: that "workflow" is so common that adobe has a save as funtion on all there products