5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 5:41 AM by KMEfire

Crawling text

KMEfire

Let me start with the fact that we purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 9 about a year ago so that we can edit and post short 2-3 minutes product videos.

I am new to video editing and am learning as I go, mostly trial and error.

One thing that I would like to do but is stumping me is how to have crawling text only be visible on a certain part of the screen.

I don't want my text coming crawling from one side of the screen to the other, just in a defined "box".

So that you can see what I'm talking about, here is our youtube channel http://youtu.be/vJmjSFPoLYI

The red box at the bottom is the only place I want the text to be seen as it comes on and leaves.

I'm achieving the red box by having a separate still title clip on top of the actual video that contains the red box graphic and our logo.

Maybe this isn't the best method?

I'm applying the text that you see with yet another still title clip on top of the "red box" title clip with the text that fades in and out. I am using a separate still title clip for each piece of text.

Again, maybe this isn't the best method.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Crawling text
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can certainly do this with simple keyframing of the title clip

I describe keyframing step by step in my books. I also describe simple motion keyframing in the free Basic Keyframing PDF, available on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. (Just type "basic keyframing" in the search box.)

Meantime, rather than trying-and-erroring, it might be best to use some of the resources available to learn the basics of the program. I've created  a free 8 part Basic Training tutorial set you can start with.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Crawling text
            KMEfire Level 1

Thanks for the tip.

I had actually downloaded and watched half of your tutorials when you replied.

Keyframes are certainly a nice tool, I'm having a hard time grasping some of them, namely postions and anchor point.

I had stumbled upon them when trying to "fly" a still photo across a title screen, then confused myself badly trying to tell Premiere where I wanted to come in at the go away at with the location.

• 3. Re: Crawling text
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 10 includes a very intuitive tool for creating motion path keyframes, FWIW.

Though there's nothing that beats a good understanding of the process itself.

• 4. Re: Crawling text
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might be useful for what I think you are looking to do. I like the "fade" as it is less abrupt, than just doing a Crop, or similar, with the Title Crawl. Let me know if this works for you.

For learning PrE, this ARTILCE gives a list of some useful resources, and can take some of the "pain" out of the leaning curve.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Crawling text
                  KMEfire Level 1

Thanks for the help.

For now I'm going with the Track Matte Key method to get this current file up, then go back to work on understanding keyframes.

Again, I appreciate your time.