5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 7:42 AM by Re_Amemiya

Im stuck! help!

Re_Amemiya

This is pretty embarrassing, I'm a FC newbie and doing a project for my color class and had a question. This is my project so far and ran into some trouble.

[IMG]http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac102/F1GURIN/Screenshot2011-11-03at120856PM.png[/IMG]

This happens when i hover over the triangle/object (origin) The problem is this also happens when i mouse over any of the objects since to make all of the objects disappear i needed to make them all into one button and edit them to fade out in the over state.

[IMG]http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac102/F1GURIN/Screenshot2011-11-03at120902PM.png[/IMG]

How do i achieve this without converting them all into one button?

Ex. I want to mouse over the "Origin" object and all of the other triangles fade out except "Origin". When i mouse over "Modern" object i want everything except "Modern" to fade out

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Im stuck! help!
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

If I understand what you are after, you need to look at creating a custom component for this interaction. This will help manage the various states that you will have (default, ray 1 rollover, ray 2 rollover, etc). The you can add the interactions to each of the rays.

Here is quick sample to help you along.

Chris

• 2. Re: Im stuck! help!
            Re_Amemiya Level 1

This is exactly what I wanted! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was hoping you would respond, i've seen you help many people. True community professional.

• 3. Re: Im stuck! help!
              Re_Amemiya Level 1

i think i may have spoken too soon... I tried doing it on my project and got frustrated so i am trying to do it with 3 squares similar to how you made an example for me, I got as far as selecting them all, and converting them into a custom component then made a "offstate" "state1" "state2" "state3" This is where im stuck. What do i do next?

when i select "state 1" and select one of them to convert into a button i can only modify that one square i selected in the over state.

when i select "state 1" and select all of the squares to convert into a button i get the same result as before where they all turn into one button. How do i make "square 1" into a button and also when rollover is applied it fades other shapes even though it is not connected via a button? im so confused.

The most frustrating part is that you were kind enough to supply an answer but i just cant figure out how you managed to get there.

• 4. Re: Im stuck! help!
                Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Hang in there! The upside is you know it can be done. Sometimes that is half the battle.

Convert each square into it's own button. Then you can apply the interactions to each button to handle the roll over and roll out.

Chris

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Im stuck! help!
                  Re_Amemiya Level 1

I quit catalyst for a few days and when i had time today to work on it i finally got it, it was one of those " AH HA" moments. Not sure if this is what you wanted me to do but i was just messing around and figured it out.

I converted all 3 images into a custom component

at this stage when clicking on any of those 3 they became 1 object

I duplicated "offstate" 3 times to have state 1, 2, 3

I went into state 1 and set shape#2,3 to transparent

I went into state 2 and set shape#1,3 to transparent

I went into state 3 and set shape#1,2 to transparent

I went to offstate again and selected shape #1

went to the right and added a interaction to "roll over" play transition to state 1

went to the right and added a interaction to "roll out" play transition to offstate

and i did that for all 3 shapes.

when rollover-ing any of the shapes it causes the others to dissapear, exactly what i had wanted. Now its just time to implement it into my project, im bookmarking this because i know i will forget in an hour.

Thanks again Chris!