• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to created a 'pixelated gradient'?

Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm lookinf for help on how to create a pixelated gradeint (if that's the correct term!) in Ullustrator CS5. I will be using a country map outline as the 'boundary' or container for my graphic.

Below is a image I found on a stock website, which is basically what I want to do, but with only 2 colours. (though I'm assuming because it's a gradient I can changed them anyway). I've had a go with Live paint, which worked to some degree but it was incredibly time consuming and I have 20 or so graphics to do! Plus I want to minimise the lines as much as possible, which is not what is shows below.

Thanks for your help.

Stock_pixelated_graphic.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People call it "dithering" and once you look up the term on teh web, it becomes clear that it's just a matter of defining patterns to mimic optical density. Ergo, the process would involve using fill patterns, pattern brushes or similar to quickly create such structures in AI as well. If that's not possible because the designs exist in some fixed form as a multitude of small squares already, then indeed filling them individually is pretty much all you can do. In part it may also be possible to use combinations of live trace and the convert to mosaic function, though...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a gradient structure in Photoshop or a gradient mesh or a gradient.

Convert to pixel (rasterize) if necessary

Object > Create Object mosaic, enter desired number of pieces

to convert to 2 colors, use Edit > Edit colors > Recolor art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do this differently,

is this something what u trying to do?

gradPix.png

If it is:

1.    draw a square: 10mm x 10mm (for the purpose of this explanation)

2.    Fill it with a 1(+1) colour gradient ( and a tint of that colour) you dont have to but end results better.

3.    Then drag it into the symbols panel. (graphic when asked)

4.    select the square on the art board (which is now a symbol)

5.    then effect>distort and transform>transform

6.    change the reference point to top left

7.    copies 25, move horizontal 10mm, click ok

8.    then effect>distort and transform>transform again and yes to apply new effect

9.    change the reference point to top left

9.    copies 25, move vertical 10mm, click ok

10.    Then: object>expand appearence

11.    Right click on object and ungroup TWICE

12.    then select the symbol screen (or stainer) tool (play around with then and settings till u happy)

13.    drag over the object.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grant,

Thats kinda what I'm looking for, but I'm not using and kind of shape (you have what looks like a line?). I simply want to create a type fof radial gradient, but for it to be pixelated so there is more differenatiation between each square.

This is what I tried earlier with Live paint. I can see that it will work if I make the squares smaller and the lines much thinner, but again, I have 20 artworks to do...

I'll try your method shortly, I just though I'd post my goals incase you method could be altered.

Thank YouScreen Shot 2011-11-03 at 19.38.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rasterize it and then make a mosaic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi N

Just to clarify - is this the kind of thing you're after doing?

uk.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.vektorgarten.de/img/tut/mosaic-1.png

Result:

http://www.vektorgarten.de/img/tut/mosaic-2.png

Then you only have to delete the white boxes and make all the others the same color.

You can have this without gaps between the boxes as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony,

Yes that is something similar to what I'm looking at, however, the emphasis in on the 'middle' part of the gradient, i,e, the middle colour needs to run from top to bottom... I see you have used a radial gradient so the lighter colour hasn't reached the very top...

I'm sorry if I'm being too picky, but I can't find any precedent work that is esactly what I want to do... All these graphics will be used for Maps/towns/regions. (I'm studying Architecture)

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mokina,

Yes that's very close to what I'm looking for, howeve the only thing I would like (though could become quite troublesome) is that the gradient doesn't reach the very top of the map (In this case Scotland). But overall, that's the kind of result I want, and it looke like you applied a radial gradient straight over the UK, they made some changed in the moassaic panel? (could I fine tune the moassaic so that I don't look too much of the overall shape?)

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.vektorgarten.de/img/tut/england-pixel.png

Make that gradient as you like it. You can do that before making the mosaic or afterwards. When applying the gradient afterwards, single squares will have a gradient in them. The squares created by the mosaic function are solid colored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both Monika and Tony. I will use your information tomorrow when creating such graphics. There seems to be a few options so it'll be good to try them all out.

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

f yu wnt to do it as a contour effect then you might simply Take a rectangle and Use the Object>Pat>Split into Grid faeture.

then place you map outline over that with no fill or stroke andselect both and turn it into a Live Paint Group

then take the Live Paint Bucket and fill the squares as you like then expand the Live Paint Group and delete the remaing square using the lasso tool to select them first.

More of this type of effect where you can follow the contour of the map.

Screen Shot 2011-11-04 at 12.50.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adjusting the gradient with the gradient tool would be fairly easy.

You could also add additional fills and have other gradients in there that use transparency.

Then get a simple pattern fill and apply that as an additonal fill as well.

Shot of my appearance panel below - the top fill is a line pattern with ewhite grid lines.

ukTiled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar project. I want to create a gradient of pixels exploding outwards. Sort of what Monika did, but actually using squares instead of a path. I just want to apply a radial gradient with mosaic look to this:
sound pixels 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to fill this with a radial gradient?

Are those single squares?

In that case select them all, create a compound path and then apply the gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got very similar question (noob) : want to create a mosaic pattern with three colors gradient from solid bottom to white top with mostly white from the middle on - also something like a stock photo I saw but with red gray and white - have already worked out how to do a total mosaic using two colors from http://robertsproductions.net/photoshop-mosaic-pattern/http:// but got stuck with (1) how to combine a gray and red version together and (2) how to apply a gradient to get them to fade out from mid screen ... any sugestions most appreciated!

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 1.35.46 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That page serves a 404.

I don't understand what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies - http://robertsproductions.net/photoshop-mosaic-pattern/

What I want to do is create a background image (like the coffee coloured one I found) for a webpage based on a mosaic pattern of red/gray dark at the bottom and fading gradually more and more to white.

The method at the page shown creates a solid mosaic with no gradient and based on red and white only.  The gradient solution is similar to what is on this page which is why I posted here, just need to know how to apply from bottom (heavy) to top (light).

Combining two mosaics into a third is harder - will put into a separate post.

Mosaic1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you can create any mosaic from any embedded raster image in Illustrator to get "this" type of look.

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 2.34.16 PM.jpg

I quickly created an image in photoshop using a few colours, placed the image in Illustrator, embedded the image, then:

Object>Create object mosaic.

I selected settings as follows (you will need to use your own depending on the look you are after)

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 2.34.00 PM.jpg

hope that helps.

Regards

Grant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create that last image, with the tile positions randomized?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dtnicks  schrieb

How did you create that last image, with the tile positions randomized?

First apply the mosaic function or create a raster in a different way.

Then apply Object > Transform > Transform Each with "Random" setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines