31 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2015 4:53 AM by BobLevine

Can't open pmd files using InDesign

h4ng0ver123

hi all

I have a few pmd files created back in 1996 using Mac at the time, can someone help me to open the files or convert it so I can see them in Indesign please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried choosing File > Open and trying to open them in InDesign?. It can open Pagemaker 6 or 7 files. See Chapter 4 of the InDesign Help file for more information.

• 2. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
            h4ng0ver123 Level 1

Hi Steve

I have tried that and it failed to open them, also I have tried to open them using Adobe Pagemaker 7 for PC, it also failed, " failed to convert to PC....etc", I think because these files are really old, and were created using Adobe pagemaker for Mac, that's why I have all these issues, and also Adobe Pagemaker 7 only works with Mac OS 9.1 or OSX classic enviorment, so I'm stuck at the moment..

THanks

• 3. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A file created in 1996 is most certainly not a PMD file and more likely than not to be a PM5 file which cannot be opened in InDesign. You'll need to find a PM user who can open that file and if was created on a Mac all I can do is wish you luck...you're going to need it because as you've already discovered, you cannot open a PM file in a different version AND a different platform.

Bob

• 4. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                h4ng0ver123 Level 1

hi Bob

I was afraid it would end up like you said.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                  mckayk_777 Level 2

G'day,

I have Indesign CS & CS2 on a mac here maybe the older versions of Indesign might have success.

Send one through to me if you wish to try it.

What is the extension on the file (PMD, PM6, P65)

• 6. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                    jose.roitberg

I think there are two main reasons to reopen old PMD files. (1) Make new PDFs or ePUBS for tablets or (2) republish the publication, new edition etc. What I found is that we never know if a PMD will open whit In Design or not. If you did the right thing when you worked with Page Maker you should have saved your publications "packaged" ie, with pics, arts and fonts, using an option at PM "save" dialog. If you did so MAY BE your are half the way. As I noticed in other posts and forums, In Design needs that PMD, pics and fonts to be in the same directory. When you closed the files in PM, your disc contains PM, in root but pics and fonts each in their own directory, so, ID will not open and probably loop and stall without giving you any tip of what you are doing wrong. Create a correct directory at you computer and don't try to open from CDs or worst: old zip discs an even 3 1/4 rigid discs. Install all the fonts used at your PMD work. As Adobe's faqs say, In Design will open PM 6.5 up only.

If you did the wrong things some years ago, o-ho... I are something lost. Is you do not know the what fonts to install and have no 1990s and 2000s font discs you have nothing to try with In Design.

PM has the "conflict font" dialog, ever opening the files closed without proper fonts save too. ID has not (for PMD files) and crashes. I have CS5 installed. I found that some times I do what I said above and the file opens, other times, not.

But there is 100% fail safe thing to do. Perhaps you have at the bottom of an old box your Page Maker installation disc. I found mine 6.5 and 7.0. Ok they where developed for Windows 3.1 (anyone remember?) and Intel 386 and 486 CPUs. But SURPRISE! At least Page Maker 7.0 installs and works perfect in a i7 (fast one with 8 gb), two screens, fast graphic cards and amazingly, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits without need of any reverse compatibility trick or system.

So, I installed 7.0, installed the fonts, and opened PMDs at PM, not at IN. It works! It's the ONLY SOLUTION I FOUND for unable to open PMD files in In Design.

But about the goals?  You will be really amazed how fast PM 7.0 works in a modern machine. I prepared a 360 pages book with some 60 pics to be printed as PDF. The i& took an impressive low 2.8 seconds to close the file and another 15 seconds to create the PDF with Nitro Pdf Creator (freeware), and this is the very point.

As you remember, during PM era, you have to export for PDF via Adobe Acrobat Distiller that was very slow at the machines at the time. I did not tried to reinstall early 2000s Distiller because we know the amount of incompatibilities of Acrobats, and Readers, and Distillers. Old Distiller possibly will crash your actual Acrobat Reader. Then use PRINT, not EXPORT TO PDF, installing a freeware pdf printer as Primo PDF or it's big sister Nitro PDF. The Page Maker printing dialog permits to choose your PDF settings as exact size of the paper and color separation to bureaus print. Very simple and fast.

So I am printing old books an articles as PDFs with PM 7.0 an then converting to ePUB using another great freeware called Calibre.

I hope this can save a lot of time for someone and make people able reuse their old PMD files ever.

If you did not work wiht this stuff pre In Design an have no PM installation disks, ok, you could blame the market that do not offers old "used" software, that sometimes can save the day. Ask for friends is they have a copy of PM 7.

• 7. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                      medmarketing

change the extention.

• 8. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Almost certainly won't work...

• 9. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                          medmarketing Level 1

works about 80% of the time. I have several hundred 1995-1997 pagemaker files. None of them have a extention, adding .PMD or .PM6 opens most of them fairly easily.

• 10. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

Adding the correct extension is not the same thing as changing the extension. I'm fairly sure that ID is able to tell when a pagemaker 5 file has a .pmd file extension tacked on by reading the actual file header information and will still be unable to open it becasue it lacks the required filter. I haven't had a chance to test this, though, because I don't seem to have any Pagemaker 5 files left on my system.

• 11. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have many thousands of old PM files from PM5 through PM7, on both platforms. The file-extension trick really is useful, Peter - but medmarketing's 80% success rate is indicative of a pretty homogenous & uncorrupted archive of PM files.

Thus far I have a 100% success rate in extracting valid useable text from old PM files - but that's because I keep an old Pentium box and an old mirror-door G4 around, running ye olde PM apps natively. If you don't have that (along with raw-text and/or hex editors on all platforms, and willingness to use same) then just trying random PM-related file extensions is worth a shot.

• 12. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

I certainly have no dispute with appending an extension to a file that has none in hopes of getting ID to recognize it, but I'm still dubious about the ability to lie and get it to work. That doesn't mean I won't believe it if I see it demonstrated, though.

Would you be kind enough to make a copy of one of your PM5 files and change the extension to PM6, then try to open it with ID?

• 13. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

Well, on that front you are 100% correct, Peter, but I tried it just for drill. No amount of file-extension changing is going to cause ID to be able to read a PM5 file.

• 14. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

I'm sorry to hear that, but of course not at all surprised.

• 15. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

And thanks for doing the confirmation testing.

• 16. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

There are cases where I've found a lie to be useful. YMMV here but PageMaker 7 docs (PMDs) that failed at ID import can sometimes be opened by renaming the file extension to P65. I have no idea why. I do feel like the entire process of importing PM documents into ID is best aided by a diagnostic recompose while you supplicate and/or make sacrifices to your preferred deity. I make no claims as to which technique is more efficacious.

• 17. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

OK, THAT is interesting. I can't recall ever having a .pmd file fail, but then I probably haven't opened more than three or four in twice that many years.

• 18. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                                            jose.roitberg Level 1

I posted during March 2012. After these months I am still using PM7 to do the job for ebook publishing, rescueing all old files and texts, and making new ones. As I sad before, PM7 has a rocket performance over a WIN7 64 and I7 computer. PM7 is absolutely OVER able for the simple files necessary to e-publishing. Absolutely no need for giant em complex In Design tons of functions for this job. I discovered today that PM7 is still availlable for purchasing, but in Brazil the price is proibitive at U$ 635.00, thanks I have my old one purchased some12 years ago (or so...). Is it like BWM selling a 2000 car for 2013 price! Only in the web... Of course you can do the same e-book publishing with Word an other more simple word processing software going to the darkside of the publishing... But for people that are publishers, PM7 is easy and faster. As I said before, and another friend is using above, get an old PM7 copy. No need to old computer or system, as it runs on Win7 64 with no faults.

• 19. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

I've said it before I'll say it again. The fact that you can get PM7 installed and running on your system can be attributed to nothing other than dumb luck. Most people haven't had your luck.

Bob

• 20. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                                                jose.roitberg Level 1

Hi Bob, it's some luck, but it's more aging... A long long time ago, I can remender making my first editions working with IBM sphere composers for text, Letraset for titles, nankin pens and rulers for lines and arts, glue, 6B pencils, soft rubers for layouts, glue tape an large 1:1 scale light blue grid paper puting all toghetter page by page and then going to the graphic park to have the stuff photolithographed (I'm not sure this word exists in English) at my first newspapers job. I don't miss that times. Then I worked with every single computer program since the first Page Makers (what a transition!!!), including almost forgotten but still in produtction Corel Ventura, Quark Express and other not worht to mention. As psico collector, I didn't trashed old versions discs and manuals. My wife hate that. But nowadays a I'm a TV editor and make some ebooks. All the professional magazzine publishing of the company I work for is made with In Design with perfect results.

• 21. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                                                  manojk95205664

Can anyone help me. I have some books in pagemaker with lot of math equtions. Can any one tell me how can i open them in in indesign with math type equations not in image so i can change the equations in case of any corrections

• 22. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

The last version of ID that could open Pagemaker files was CS6. There is no magic that can be done to the equations, however. If they are linked images, they will remain linked images.

• 23. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                                                      manojk95205664 Level 1

Thank you peter for your help.

But is there any way so we can export them in different location and then re-linked in indesign files

• 24. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

Are the images embedded or linked in PM? I believe you would need to unembed in PM before you open in ID.

• 25. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                                                          manojk95205664 Level 1

They are typed in math type and then we used copy and paste option.

• 26. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

Peter Spier wrote:

Are the images embedded or linked in PM? I believe you would need to unembed in PM before you open in ID.

Yes, they had to be linked externally. I haven't tried to convert a file in years though.

That said, copy/paste was a horrible idea even when using PM and the conversion is going to be a real crapshoot.

The OP may want to find an old machine with PM on it to continue working on it or be prepared to do a lot of work on this to get it in InDesign.

• 27. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

Could you edit them directly in PM? If you could, then you might be able to edit them in ID, otherwise, no way.

My experience with converting .pmd is pretty limited, as well, but I can tell you in most cases it was easier to start over than to try to fix the converted files.

• 28. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                                                                manojk95205664 Level 1

Dear Peter

Please find the process for those equations:

We have typed them in mathtype and then copy and paste in PM. Now when we are converting them in indesign the text matter is coming but equations are not coming or showing as images.

Regards

Manoj

• 29. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

There is nothing I can do for you.

• 30. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign
                                                                    manojk95205664 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

• 31. Re: Can't open pmd files using InDesign

At this point if all you're doing is small changes, find an old computer and run PM on it. Do all future work in InDesign.