5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2011 8:42 AM by ntgme

Create a test video for audio/video-sync with premiere?

ntgme

Hi,

I would like you create a video to measure the delay between audio and video in an entertainment system.

I created a test signal, that changes from a low to a loud sound and back every three seconds, and imported it to premiere.

Now i would like to have a black screen during the low sound and a white screen during the loud sound.

The change from black to white and from low to loud should be in perfect sync, so i can measure delays smaller than 1 ms.

Is that even possible with 25 frames/s? What's the most accurate codec?

• 1. Re: Create a test video for audio/video-sync with premiere?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You can use Color Matte (from the New Icon at the bottom of the Project Panel) to create your Clips. Before you do so, you probably should go into Edit>Preferences, and set the desired Duration of your Sill Images, to start with the time that you want. You only need one of each in the Project. Drag, say the white one to the Timeline, and, then drag the black one, then the white one, etc.. When done, if desired, you can add Cross Dissolves between them, or the desired Duration.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Create a test video for audio/video-sync with premiere?
            ntgme Level 1

ok, i set the duration of each still to 3 sec (75 frames), but when i hover it in the timeline it says duration 03:00, end 02:24. But it looks as if it's in sync with my audio track..

• 3. Re: Create a test video for audio/video-sync with premiere?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The "03;00" is 03 sec. and 0 Frames, so that is exactly what you want.

Does that do what you where hoping it would?

Something that might also be useful in your "test footage" would be to add the TimeCode Effect, so that the viewer could see the TimeCode going by. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Create a test video for audio/video-sync with premiere?
                Stephen_Spider Level 3

"so i can measure delays smaller than 1 ms"

How are you going to measure? Eyes and ears? How do you gage milliseconds?

Here's a neat fact:

33.3 milliseconds — the amount of time one frame lasts in 30fps video.

• 5. Re: Create a test video for audio/video-sync with premiere?
                  ntgme Level 1

@Stephen_Spider: I'm going to measure with an oszilloscope (photo diode at the screen to measure transition from black to white).

@Bill Hunt: I was only wondering because it says "end 02:24"...

So now i created the video and exported it as Microsoft AVI with DV PAL as video codec and uncompressed audio,

so audio and video should be in sync.

But the next problem is burning the video on a DVD. Is there a way to ensure that audio and video won't drift apart during the authoring process?

And if they do, is there a way to measure the delay on my computer (e.g. by using a program that can go through the video frame-by-frame and where i can

see a visualization of the sine signal at the same time so I can measure the delay) and use this value as an offset for the measurement of my entertainment system?