2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 8:53 AM by Basilio Alferow RSS

Using a Fire Wire Switch to Capture 2 Cameras on Same Onlocation Clip

Kayemgee365 Community Member

I'm recording (video) a live event using Onlocation CS5 to an iMac with OS Lion.  I have no problem recording a single camera.  However I have two cameras (but just one computer).  Wondering if I could use a Firewire switch to change cameras while recording to Onlocation during the same clip?  I'd like to just switch between cameras connected to a firewire switch while recording to onlocation (without stopping the recording) - then import into Premeire - to add effects (titing, credits, etc).

You see -  I can't to find a way to record the event from two camera simultaneously onto the iMac (without things getting very expensive).  And Onlocation will only record one camera at a time - since it is a live event I can't afford to miss anything while manually unplugging one camera and restarting recording from another angle in Onlocation  - so I figured I could simply switch back and forth between two angles (cameras) using a mechanical Firewire switch . . . you get the picture.  Would this switching idea work while recording - or would this cause Onlocation to "zarf-out"?

I realize I could buy a switch and try it out - but before I take this route - I was wondering if anybody had an opinion or experience on whether this would work or not?

Thank you for you thoughts on this.