4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 6:45 AM by Ann Bens

Feature Request submitted for Better Edge Feather utility

Stephen_Spider Level 3

PP-CS5.5 needs a better Edge Feather utility. when I crop or use a garbage matte on a clip, I often want to soften the new shape's edges feathering. However, the way the Edge Feather Effect currently works is to  start the feathering from the edges of the original of the un-cropped, un-matted source. Even if I have cropped 70% of the image off with either the Image Crop effect of using a Garbage Matte. I haven't found a way to feather the edges of the new shape.. Please let me know if there is a work around. And I would be quite happy if this was addressed in a future update, because it seems way more like a bug than a feature. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Feature Request submitted for Better Edge Feather utility
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Track Matte key would do what you want, albeit with a bit of work to set up your feathered edge. I often simply use the Linear Wipe transition effect to do quick soft-edged rectangular shapes.

Feature requests are a dish best served hot right here: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: Feature Request submitted for Better Edge Feather utility
            Stephen_Spider Level 3

Already sent it there, thanks. I was just seeing if I could get some mob action going over Premiere's feathering capability.

And I came to the same track matte method as you, however I used the title maker to compose the matte. The title maker has the convenient attribute of letting me have the video clip that I actually want to affect in the background as shape the matte with the title tools.  To make a feathered look I added an outer stroke that was the same color as the shape's fill. The stroke type was a radial gradient, so it let me turn down the opacity of the outer gradient color, resulting in a feathered look.

The final result looked okay, but the process was a little laborious.

Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: Feature Request submitted for Better Edge Feather utility
              Colin Brougham Level 6

It can be way easier than that. Just create a general shape that you want in the Titler, with a solid white fill. I usually set the Background to black and use Track Matte with the Matte Luma option, but if you leave the background transparent (the default for a title), you can use Matte Alpha.

After you edit your matte graphic into a sequence, drop a blur effect on to it. I typically will use Fast Blur, but Gaussian Blur is fine too (it's GPU accelerated in CS5.5). Adjust to taste; I usually tick the Repeat Edge Pixels option. I typically will make my matte graphic much bigger than the sequence dimensions, so that I can scale it, move it, rotate it and so on to get it where I need it to be. That's really all there is to it.

I have a folder full of pre-cooked matte shape graphics that I just use when I need such a thing. What's nice about precooking them is that you don't have the extra processing overhead, such as for the blur effect; I'll make my graphics in Photoshop and scale, shape, and blur as needed in the PSD. Import as a flattened image and you're good to go.

• 4. Re: Feature Request submitted for Better Edge Feather utility
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Edge Feather is way way way over due.

Please everyone file a FEATURE REQUEST.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform