12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 7:01 AM by jordanh_

MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT

Joe Debono

i am using the adobe cs5 mxf op1a settings to export my projects for tv stations.

at the tv stations, there are installed avid media compser and harris broadcast playout.

the problem is this - when the exported mxf project is imported in either the avid or the harris, these system crash or report a drop outs that cause the timeline to hang

this problem is not being reported by mxf exports done from Final Cut done by other production companies

i did some tests on the mxf produced from both NLE - Final Cut and Adobe suite with IRT MXF analyser light and found that the mxf produced from the Adobe suite generate a lot of errors from the Header, while exports from Final Cut do not generate any problems. Following is one of the test about 35 secs long advert. on a longer export the errors are A LOT

MXF errors: 16

Offset |   Description
      --------------+-------------------------------------------
                  0   Info: SMPTE 377M-2004 MXF file.
                  0   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
                  0   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
                140   Warning: Fill Item Key with a wrong RP210 version number of 0x01. The correct version number is 0x02. Note: This is reported only once per MXF file.
               2808   Info: The Preface does not start at a KLV grid line (KAG Size = 512).
               7771   Info: All bytes of this basic UMID equal 0x00.
               8099   Info: All bytes of this basic UMID equal 0x00.
               8427   Info: All bytes of this basic UMID equal 0x00.
               8755   Info: All bytes of this basic UMID equal 0x00.
               9083   Info: All bytes of this basic UMID equal 0x00.
               9303   Warning: Unknown UUID version field value of 0x07 in the UUID 10.ab.07.a9.e8.9e.75.10.a9.23.ea.92.20.52.41.53. The value may not be a valid UUID.
              11264   Info: At least one body partition contains one or more Index Table Segment(s).
              11264   Info: This file contains at least one body partition.
              11264   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
              11264   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
           24204288   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
           24204288   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
           48396800   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
           48396800   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
           72589312   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
           72589312   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
           96781824   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
           96781824   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
          120974336   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
          120974336   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
          141134848   Info: The FooterPartition contains one or more Index Table Segment(s).
          141134848   Error: Missing element 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 (MXF-GC Generic Essence Multiple Mappings) in batch "EssenceContainers" when comparing against the Essence Container Labels found in the Descriptors of Top Level Source Packages of this file.
          141134848   Error: The correct number of elements for property "EssenceContainers" is 3 and not 2 as encoded in the file.
          141135872   Info: The file does contain a Random Index Pack (RIP).

can this be the problem of other NLE's and playouts crashing?  We choose to have Adobe Suite because of it's direct export to MXF Op1a option, but this is causing a lot of trouble. Any help?

• 1. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

What preset was used to generate the material?  Is it possible to post a sample MXF file?

I'm not convinced that all these errors reported by the IRT tool are actually really problematic, they could be red herrings.  But it's worth checking out.  I'm more concerned that there's no RIP reported at the end of the file - if you exported long GOP, there should be one.  That seems odd...

• 2. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
            Joe Debono Level 1

i use MXF OP1a  DV 25 PAL

how do i post the video?

• 3. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Any file sharing site will do.  I often use the below site because neither party has to sign up to use it, and the file size limit is a fairly generous 2GB.

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/

• 4. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
                Joe Debono Level 1

ok .. thanks... am uploading now

the same thing happens on all our Adobe Suites.. we have various configurations. AJA Kona 3, Blackmagic Multibridge Pro, Blackmagic Studio .. all files generated from adobe give the same reports and generate crashes on the TV servers

• 6. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

we have various configurations.

Any without third party hardware?

• 7. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
                    Joe Debono Level 1

yes .. a laptop .. have tried to export files directly captured from Sony EX3 without editing them from the media encoder with the same results.

• 8. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT

So the file seems to be functional to me.  I don't know why Harris is having trouble importing it - we'll probably need to reach out to their engineering group to get a handle on what they're having difficulty with.

(As to Avid, I believe that they use OpAtom files, so I'm not sure how to get Media Composer to import these successfully.)

The only other suggestion I have is to try using one of the IMX presets instead, see if they fare any better.

*edit:  for what it's worth, I tried generating an OP1a file directly using the MOG SDK sample code, and IRT generates the same errors/warnings that you listed for your file.  So I still suspect that the IRT tool's "errors" are probably false leads...

• 9. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
                        Joe Debono Level 1

that's what is troubling . . i can view it normally with other editing software or with media players such as vlc .. there were some sharpness issues using the imx preset but i'm not sure if there was the crashing problem ... have to export some tests and hand them to the station. . . if you could analyse these files further, it would be great also .. cause if the errors are timecode related, it might be an issue

• 10. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT

Most broadcasters I speak with prefer using IMX 50 over DVCAM, hands down... twice the bitrate, 422 vs 420 colorspace... you should be able to get perceptibly better results with that preset.

Do you have any version info for the Harris playout software?  I'll need to pass that information along to Harris.

• 11. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
                            Joe Debono Level 1

i dont have the version of Harris Playout .. we assume that it the latest version as it has not been installed long

in the meantime i made some test with the imx presets and no errors have been generated from the IRT tool. so maybe there is some wrong algorithm in the DV Pal preset

unfortunately the tv station we are dealing with gave us only those two options - IMX or DV Pal within the MXF container and no other files than the mxf are accepted. this means that for us both presets have to work well anyway.

as for Avid working with OpAtom files, i dont think that this the case, as they are they are able to import the OP1a files occasionally..

• 12. Re: MXF OP1a export problems  - URGENT
                              jordanh_

There is no misinterpretions in the Analysis result above, it is just as the analyzer said: The System Item Track with UID: 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.03.0d.01.03.01.02.7f.01.00 is just missing in the list of Essencecontainers of the Header.

Here some Dump of an XDCAMHD File (but same for D10 or DV),

EssenceContainers = [ count =          2 ]

0 = 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.01.0d.01.03.01.02.06.03.00

= [ AES3/BWF - AES3 (frame wrapped) ]

1 = 06.0e.2b.34.04.01.01.02.0d.01.03.01.02.04.60.01

= [ MPEG Elementary Stream - stream id 0x60 (frame wrapped) ]

So the Header says there are only those 2 Tracks. But actually we also have a systemitem track.