4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2011 7:34 AM by pappaflyer1

transfer of PDF files to Office 2007 Publisher

pappaflyer1

Could anybody tell me how to transfer PDF files to office 2007 publisher, and what if at all what program do I have to purchase? Thanks, Cato.

• 1. Re: transfer of PDF files to Office 2007 Publisher
          CtDave Level 5

While copy-paste of content in almost any file format can typically get you something to drop into a different file format this can be problematic when you want to retain layout/format.

Another "export" method utilized by some is to process PDF content out as an image. Of course an image of stuff is not all that practical if you need to perform some format/layout/edit tweaks.

For PDF Acrobat Pro remains the "gold standard" for exporting PDF content.

The best results come from export of content in a well-formed Tagged PDF.

With Acrobat X both Standard and Pro support export of PDF content.

Thing is, export to MS Publisher is not supported.

So, at the end of the day, to end up with something in a Publisher file that started in a PDF I'd say go with Acrobat X Pro and perhaps an image editor you are comfortable with.

Export PDF content to MS Word. Maybe work any exported images/graphics with the image editor.

Publisher supports import of a Word document so that can get you something to work with in Publisher.

Not a zip down the big blue slide into the Infinity pool but doable.

Be well...

Message was edited by: CtDave

• 2. Re: transfer of PDF files to Office 2007 Publisher
            pappaflyer1 Level 1

CtDave,

Thanks for the reply, but what I was looking for was to download the pdf to the news letter, and then be able for someone to download the file again from the news letter with the same undisturbed content, i'm downloading plans, and I have to be able to open them as the original.

cato.

• 3. Re: transfer of PDF files to Office 2007 Publisher
              CtDave Level 5

You could play with Publisher's Insert > Object to see if Create new or Create from File supports what you desire.

Actually having PDF content as an intergrated component of the Publisher file's native content flow is rather problematic. Publisher is not a PDF (aka ISO 32000-1) aware application.

As the plans' "original" is PDF a PDF "aware" application is needed to view. Because most computers, most times, have Adobe Reader installed it will typically be the application end-users will have available to view a PDF.

If I were using my install of Publisher to produce the newsletter I'd master the content and have a link to the PDF containing the plans.

Using Acrobat Pro I'd have PDFMaker provide the output PDF from Publlsher.

In a LAN/WAN environment I'd have the PDF (from Publisher) and the link's target PDF available in a shared folder where end-users have read-file scan permissions.

View the newsletter PDF, click the link, view the plans PDF.

In webspace I'd have a similar deployment.

Be well...

• 4. Re: transfer of PDF files to Office 2007 Publisher
                pappaflyer1 Level 1

CtDave,

Thanks again, I got it to work as I highlighted the PDF then copyed it to Publisher newsletter direct, then played with it in the box, and it work, great. I guess it works just like an imbedded file, I admit knowing verry little about it, so thanks again.

Cato.