5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 12:06 AM by Aniks

UPDATE SOFTWARE

rode40

Hi all

I am currently using v7.0 but wish to upgrade to v9.0.  Will I need to uninstall 7.0 first or will 9.0 "overide" and update 7.0.

Second question, if I have to uninstall 7.0 what happens to projects only part completed?  Will I lose them or will they still be there after installing the update?

I am a bit of a novice in using Elements so don't know the best way to go about it.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards

Rode

• 1. Re: UPDATE SOFTWARE
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rode,

You can have both PrE 7.0 and PrE 10 installed on the same machine.

PrE 10 will not overwrite, or otherwise change PrE7.0. I cannot recall any upgrade from Adobe, that has ever overwritten a previous version.

One user, who drops by here, ATR, has several versions of PrE installed, for testing, and he's never mentioned any issue, whatsoever.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for some learning resources, I recommend this partial LIST.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: UPDATE SOFTWARE
            rode40 Level 1

Hi Bill

Many thanks for you very prompt reply which is much appreciated.  Another "silly" question.  Would I be able to open unfinished projects in v9.0 created in v7.0? because obviously I don't want to lose them.

Regards

Roy Harris

UK

• 3. Re: UPDATE SOFTWARE
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would not recommend opening an older version project in a newer version of the program. It almost always leads to quirky problems.

Or, if you do want to try, make sure you save a copy of the old file so that it doesn't get corrupted by the process.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: UPDATE SOFTWARE
                rode40 Level 1

Hi Steve

Many thanks for that.  Good job I asked.

Regards

Roy

• 5. Re: UPDATE SOFTWARE
                  Aniks Level 2

Roy,

As Bill and Steve already mentioned, you can definitely have both PRE9 and PRE7 together and work on either of them. There is no updat/override whatsoever.

Also, if you wish to edit your incomplete projects in newer version, they must work fine given that whatever features-(effects/transitions etc) you used in your project still exist in the newer version. The suggestion i would give you is archive the project and thus save a copy first and then try editing in newer version. Since it is incomplete, you can give time and work out in newer version i suppose.

Good Luck and Happy editing.