5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 2:16 PM by Joel Cherney

need of help - ASAP!!!!

ronybar

can anyone please tell me how many pages can i save in one Indesign file?

furthermore, i have converted a file into "book", but it went out wrong. how can i "reconvert" the book file or where can i find the backup files, before the convertion?

thanks a lot for your help.

• 1. Re: need of help - ASAP!!!!
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

InDesign can theoretically allow 9999 pages. Using the book feature allows not having such a large file open.

I'm not sure how you converted to "book". But, if you have an actual book file, open the seperate book document files and use the Pages Panel to move the pages to a new document. (I believe you have to have a document open to move pages to)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: need of help - ASAP!!!!
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The number of pages that can be saved in a .indd file is huge (perhaps 9,999, but I could be misremebering and it's actually much larger), far more than is really practical to manage in a single file.

There are a lot of interpretations for having converted the file iinto a "book," so could you please be more specific? The term Book in InDesign describes a container for individual documents that are collected together and output as a single publication. Is that what you mean, or perhaps you mean you've "imposed" your pages into printers' spreads for output? You need to tell us exactly what you have, and what you did to get there. Aslo tell us waht version of ID you are using, and the OS.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: need of help - ASAP!!!!
              ronybar Level 1

first of all, THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!

the problem with the "book" conversion, is the first option you raised. i have converted the file to a "book" doc. after that, i saw that the doc. that i have put inside the book were damaged (overlapped between pages). i tired to put the book in the TRASH and then documents were still damaged and the book document was empty.

now i have an empty book doc. and a damaged original documents.

i'll be happy for more help.

thanks

• 4. Re: need of help - ASAP!!!!
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A Book (.indb file) is just a container. Throwing it away does not affect the current state of the files it contains, nor does it throw away those files, so you should be able to make a new book and add back your files. .indd files can be in one or many books, but you need to exercise caution when you put them into the book and do things like synchronize styles or numbering and these actions do make changes to the files themselves.

What do you mean the original documents are damaged?

• 5. Re: need of help - ASAP!!!!
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but you need to exercise caution when you put them into the book and do things like synchronize styles or numbering and these actions do make changes to the files themselves.

This means that, when you're going to add InDesign docs to a book, one safe workflow is:

1) Put all of your chapters (InDesign files that you want to combine in a book) in a folder

2) Make a copy of the folder

3) Name the source "BACKUP IN CASE BOOK GOES SOUTH"

4) Name the copy "HERES WHERE IM MESSIN WITH BOOK FILES"

5) Never, ever do anything to BACKUP IN CASE ... folder mentioned in no. 3.

6) Go about your business with no. 4.

There are other safe workflows, of course, but this is what I did when I started learning how to use book files. Belt and suspenders, I wear 'em both, all the time.