4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 12:03 AM by cosmits

error tooltips do not show on form validation when local is changed

cosmits Level 1

Hi

building a form in flex 4.5 & flash builder

my application has two locales for now - English & Hebrew

I've set up the validators and everything works fine in the english locale

when I debug the same fom with the Hebrew locale, I can see in the debugger all the validation errors exist as I expect them to

but none of them is being assigned to the error string of the Text Inputs, therefore - no error tooltips are being displayed

when I switch back to english, all works fine again

does anyone have any Idea why is that happening?

thank you

Yariv

• 1. Re: error tooltips do not show on form validation when local is changed
          cosmits Level 1

Am I the only one who encountered this problem

to me it sounds quite disturbing

any chance to get a response from an Adobe Employee?

cheers

• 2. Re: error tooltips do not show on form validation when local is changed
            Flex harUI Adobe Employee

First, try a different locale like Spanish, French or German.  I don’t know if we ship hebrew or not, but if you built your own, maybe the resources aren’t set up correctly.

Then shrink it down to a 20-line test case and post it.

• 3. Re: error tooltips do not show on form validation when local is changed
              cosmits Level 1

Hello and thank you for your response!

I followed the documented instructions and used the copylocale utility in the bin folder of the sdk

since the product indeed doen't ship with a hebrew locale unfortunately

but the copylocale should get it right
              the resources are changing correctly in all other places but specifically the error messages

I will try to use other locales and update on the results

by 20-line test case you mean a scenario to re-produce the bug?

thanks again

• 4. Re: error tooltips do not show on form validation when local is changed
                cosmits Level 1

Hi again

ok I added another locale that ships with flash builder, and encoutered the same problem

whenever I change the locale, the error tooltips are gone

I was even able to fix both new locales by assigning the the validators custom error messages using resourceManager.getString() like i assign a value to all other UI strings in the application

the default locale which is specified in the project compiler's parameters is en_US

and my final question to you is:

is there a best practice regarding localizing & managing the error massages Flex SDK uses?

what is the internal path to the resource bundles that flex uses to display errors?

it seems like it makes more sense to copy and edit an existing list of errors, rather then blow up the application code...

can you please share your view on the matter

thank you for your help

Yariv