9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 5:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?

Jordan2903 Level 1

I am working my way through "Classroom in a Box" for CS5.5. Everything has worked so far like the book says, but just now I tried to use the vertical area type tool. No matter what I do, the text is written from right to left instead of left to right. There isn't any info in the book about this and I can't find a setting or method to make it go the other way. I can't believe that it is supposed to write backwards. What am I missing here? It tried a search on the forum, but it looks like I'm the only one with this problem

• 1. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The vertical type tool types from top to bottom. You need to extend the bounding box downwards.

• 2. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jordan,

The Vertical Type Tool should be going from top to bottom. Is it not?

You should get:

V

E

R

T

I

C

A

L

If you want the Type to be sideways, then just type a normal line of text, and use the Rotation Tool. If you need it to read the other way, then Rotate and Flip Horizontally.

Note: PS offers even more variations, so do not hesitate to look there, and then Save_As PSD, and Import the Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Note, this is different, than how the Vertical Type Tool operates in Photoshop.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
              Jordan2903 Level 1

Yes, Bill and Ann, it does type top to bottom. The problem occurs if there is more than one line and word wrap. The second "column) will appear to the left of the first rather than to the right as an English speaker might expect.

Maybe they only intended the tool for one line? I'm not exactly sure where I'd ever use multiple lines anyway. I just wondered if there was a way to reverse the text in one of these boxes.

• 4. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
                lclark751

Ann's and Bill's responses are totally unresponsive to the question (which is why I've marked them as unhelpful).  The issue, as Jordan2903 said in the follow-up, is that the text on the Vertical Area Type Tool (and also the Vertical Type Tool) "wraps" from right to left.  Yes, the text is entered from top to bottom, but each subsequent "line" (column) of text is added to the *left* of the original or previous "line" (column).  That might be fine for written Japanese or Chinese languages which read from top-to-bottom and right-to-left, but is opposite what English readers would expect.  There doesn't appear to be any way to change it to left-to-right in Premiere Pro CS5.5.

• 5. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Do you want a couple of workarounds, or did you just want to dig up a year-and-a-half-old topic and hammer the participants who were trying to help?

Jeff

• 6. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You can create as many Vertical Text Objects, as you want, or will fit on the Title. Those separate Text Objects can then be Moved, as needed, and can be Aligned, if more than one is Selected.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
                      lclark751 Level 1

Good one Jeff.  This forum post may be a year-and-a-half old, but Premiere Pro CS5.5 still behaves the way Jordan2903 and I described it.  It would be nice to know if there's a non-trivial way to make it work "right", or if it's been "fixed" in CS6.  While Bill's latest comment describes a way to work around it, and is fairly easy to do, I wouldn't call it "non-trivial".

Bill, thanks for the workaround.

• 8. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The other workaround is to add a hard return in front of the line of text just typed.  Then when you continue typing, the new line is to the right of the old one.  The advantage of this method is that you don't have to worry about aligning multiple text objects -- the spacing, kerning, etc. all continues seamlessly.

The only real drawback is that you can't use word wrap, which would be the easiest way.

Jeff

• 9. Re: Vertical Area Type tool: backwards?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good one Jeff, and a solution that I would not have thought of.

Thanks,

Hunt