14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 7:25 AM by Noel Carboni

CS3 wont open NEF

ThisTimePlease?

I can't get these NEF's to open.

I have downloaded the updated camera raw plug in.

I have checked to make sure only one plug in was installed. There were  two. I deleted the one I had earlier placed in the "Plug-in > File Formats" file. Because I read an old thread explaining that only one plug in can be installed at a time.

I can not find the original plug-in in the "plug-ins" folder. So I cannot delete it.

I tried using the adobe installer thinking it would uninstall the old plug in for me and it would not work.

I really have no idea what I am doing, I just followed instructions I found in this forum from years ago and was unsuccessful.

Jack

• 1. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What type of computer (PC or Mac)?

What operating system?

What version of Camera Raw are you trying to install?

What camera produced the files you are trying to open?

We need a lot more detail to be able to really help you.

• 2. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
            Yammer Level 4

If it's a relatively new camera, the latest plug-ins won't work with CS3, they only work with CS5. CS3 only works with Camera Raw 4.X updates. The latest version of ACR for CS3 is 4.6, avalable here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

Check here for camera compatibility: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

If your camera is only supported by ACR 5+ then you can download the free DNG Converter. This creates DNG files from your NEF files, which will open with ACR 4.

Get the latest DNG Converter from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

There are two File Formats plug-in folders (four on 64 bit systems). One in Program Files/Adobe/..., and one in Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/...
            Camera Raw goes in the latter, and on 64 bit installations there are two plug-ins, one for "Program Files" (64 bit) and one for "Program Files (x86)" (32-bit).

• 3. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Good link, YammerP!  Thanks.

Keeping in mind that Adobe stops adding new camera support to older versions of Photoshop when they release a newer version (so in your case, Camera Raw 4.6 is the latest version that will work with Photoshop CS3), then you'll need to go look up whether your camera is supported in version 4.6.

In general, here's another way to check:

1. Look on one of the following two pages for the latest Camera Raw version update that works with your Photoshop version:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform =Windows

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform =Macintosh

2. Follow the link to the highest-numbered Camera Raw update for your version of Photoshop.

3. Follow the link within that page to the ReadMe information for that version of Camera Raw.

4. Go to the section in your native language and look through the complete list of supported cameras to see if your model is there.

If your camera model is not shown there, your options are:

A. Buy a Photoshop upgrade to the latest version so you can open your raw files right into Photoshop.

B. Download and install the free Adobe DNG Converter so that you can convert your raw files to DNG format, which your version of Photoshop can open.

C. Buy Photoshop Lightroom, which also provides a converter. Note that this will not be integrated with your older version of Photoshop.

-Noel

• 4. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                Yammer Level 4

I sometimes wonder if there's any point answering these questions, as Noel will answer them all eventually anyway.

• 5. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Hey, you put up a link I didn't know about (and which, with an edit, I thanked you for).

I actually answered his question in the other thread first, without seeing your answer, then copied the content of my answer there here, just to make sure he'd see it.  Also, I saw that you didn't directly mention Adobe's policy of ceasing to add new camera support upon release of a newer version of Photoshop.

More info is better.  Much more is much better!  But I apologize if I stepped on any toes.  I'll try to reign in my enthusiasm in the future. 

-Noel

• 6. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                    ThisTimePlease? Level 1

Thanks guys. Ill have to try it on monday. I am out of the studio till then.

• 7. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                      ThisTimePlease? Level 1

@Noel

I followed those steps. I cannot find any folder in my photoshop plug-ins > file formats folder that is named camera raw. So I can not remove my current camera raw file.

If I drop in the correct version of camera raw (4.6) for my version of photoshop (cs3 on a mac) it will appear as if I have two files in my 'file formats' folder when I run photoshop and look at the 'about plug-ins' drop down menue. (it lists two camera raw files).

When I clicked on help and checked for updates it tells me there are no updates available.

I feel like the real problem I am having is my inability to remove the original camera raw file from the plug-ins folder...

• 8. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                        ThisTimePlease? Level 1

@JimHess

What type of computer (PC or Mac)?

Mac

What operating system?

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

What version of Camera Raw are you trying to install?

What camera produced the files you are trying to open?

a nikon D3

It is not my camera a photographer took photos of a few of my paintings and I would like to view/edit the raw files since he only gave me the NEFs and Jpegs and did not provide me with a tiff for any of the images.

I have edited raw images from other cameras I just can't get these images to open.

Jack

• 9. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am a PC person, so the terminology I'm going to use probably is not going to be correct.  From what I've read, there are two libraries (or something like that), one is a main folder and the other is that a user folder.  The plug in does not go in the user folder.  The fact that you have two instances of Camera Raw listed in Photoshop indicates that the installation is wrong.  You have to get rid of one of those, and then make sure the other one is installed in the right folder.

• 10. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                            ThisTimePlease? Level 1

Yeah, wish I knew where this 'ghost' plug-in was so I could do just that.

Maybe someone will know before the day is over.

Thanks for all your help, this forum is awesome.

• 12. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                              Level 4

Note that you start the path by opening (double-clicking) the icon of your hard disk.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 13. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                                Level 4

ADDENDUM:

To ferret out multiple instances of the ACR plug-in, don't rely on the utterly useless and intrusive Spotblight or the Spotblight-driven Finder search function to find any files.  Use the free Easy Find, which finds everything, including files Apple has declared off limits to Spotblight and the Spotblight-driven Finder search function.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 14. Re: CS3 wont open NEF
                                  Noel Carboni Level 7

ThisTimePlease? wrote:

@Noel

I followed those steps. I cannot find any folder in my photoshop plug-ins > file formats folder that is named camera raw. So I can not remove my current camera raw file.

Finding files notwithstanding, please let me ask two very basic questions: 

1.  What version of Camera Raw do you have?  Choose Help - About Plug-in from within Photoshop.  I ask, because you first need to understand whether you have the latest version of Camera Raw that works with your version of Photoshop.

2.  If it's lower than 4.6, which is the latest revision that will work with Photoshop CS3, if you use the Adobe Updater (e.g., from the Help - Updates menu in Photoshop), do you not get the latest revision from Adobe, no muss no fuss?

Going to the folders and fooling with the files should be a last resort.

-Noel