7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 6:59 AM by the_wine_snob

1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N

Brett_Hafer

I want to work with the video files I'm capturing with my new camera.  I have Premiere Elements 9.   When I start a new project, there are no profiles under DLSR or AVCHD that match the specs I'm shooting at.

I can choose 720P 60FPS and it loads and plays smoothly in the project window, but I'm concerned I'm going to lose something when I render the final output.

Does Premiere 10 have more up to date AVCHD profiles?  Do I have to upgrade and spend another $80 to use this software (or downgrade my video shooting specs)?

Any insight would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: 1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, Sony isn't publishing any specs online that we can study and make a recommendation, Brett. So you may have to experiment and find the best possible match.

I'd start with AVCHD Lite 1280x720 60p.

That and the DSLR 720 60p are the only 60p options available in Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: 1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N
            Ted Smith Level 3

Why bother with progressive?

You need twice the bandwith or effectively half the frame rate to get the same resoluition.

If you have a good TV engine (at least as good as a Sony Bravia) it is impossible to see the difference between interlaced and progressive 50 frames PAL although I have not seen a comparison with 60 frames that I would have thought was even better.

The only advantage with P that I can see is if you want to take still frames of moving images however I am prepared to be wrong if anyopne can prove otherwise.

I understand Blue Ray is 1900x1080i and virtually all new flat screen TVs are capable of this.

I suggest this is which is what you should always be shooting in.

• 3. Re: 1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N
              gvimuser Level 1

A while back I hacked the Preset XML files to add some custom video-modes (this was before Adobe officially supported 1280x720 24fps and 1920x1080 24fps) to Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 8.  I created a video-editing preset for 1920 x 1080 60p (and 50p.) 

Although it seemed to work, it turns it that creating the 1080p60 editing preset wasn't really necessary.  Just create a video-project using the 1920x1080 30p preset (or even the 1920x1080 30 interlaced.)  When you edit 1080p60 source videos in the project, the editing-accuracy will be +/- 2 frames instead of +/-1 frame-edit.  (So you lose single-frame accuracy, but unless you're doing a lot of short-action splices, it's not a big loss.)  However, Premiere's editing-engine preserves all the frames in the source-video, out to the final render.

So in simple terms, your output video will retain all the frames of the source video.  The output-video won't be degraded to 30fps; every frame will be there and it'll be true 60p.

Unfortunately, there are some practical problems.  For one thing, only 1-2 of Adobe's video export options support 1920x1080p60.  AVCHD 2.0 isn't supported, so you there's no way to export your edited video back to 1080p60 AVCHD footage.  The only option is

(1) export to Windows Media Video (it does support 1080p60, but you have to play around with the advanced options to select this frame-rate and fps...it's not one of the built-in presets.)

(2) MPEG/H264 (MPEG-4) - this requires a little effort to get to

Share -> Export -> "Mobile Phones and Players" -> "iPod and iPhone"

Then click on "Advanced Properties", and manually change these settings:

Level:  4.2

Profile: High

Frame Rate [fps] = 59.94  (yes, that's the correct rate for NTSC)

Frame Width 1920

Frame Height 1080

TV Standard NTSC

Bitrate settings

Bitrate Encoding:  CBR   (VBR has never worked correctly for me)

Bitrate [Mbps] : 28Mbps   (lower number takes up less space, higher number has better quality)

Select Key Frame Distance

Key frame Distance: 30 frames  (higher number takes up less space, lower number has better random access)

Hope that helps...

I'm still on Premiere Elements 9.   I may download the Trial for 10, and hack together the editing-preset for 1080p50/60.

-----------------------------------------

[edit]

My post was wrong.  In Premiere Elements 10, it's easy to create your own MPEG-4 file-export for 1080p50/60.  Just go to "Share -> Computer -> AVCHD", then select one of the "MP4" presets.  Example: "MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 30". Enter the "Advanced Properties", and change the settings as I showed above.

Message was edited by: gvimuser

• 4. Re: 1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N
                amhurley

I've gone through the menus of Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and I can find no "Share -> Computer -> AVCHD".  Please be more explicit about how to do these settings.  Assume the person is a novice and needs to start from the basic menu structure when the software starts.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: 1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N
                  nealeh Level 5

Look for scroll bars a novice must

1.png

Cheers,
                  --
                  Yoda
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: 1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N
                    amhurley Level 1

I was able to find and set your settings for AVCHD.  Thanks.  This provides the settings for Adobe Premiere Elements 10.  What about its big brother, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5?  I've created a video project in that software, and created a link to Adobe Encore.  Adobe Encore will take the file at 1080/60p, but it appears that it does not have the capability of burning 1080/60 (AVCHD 2.0) to a blu-ray disk.  Any ideas?

• 7. Re: 1080P 60FPS (AVCHD 2.0) and Sony NEX-5N
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This CHART might be useful. It lists the approved Encore BD specs.

Good luck,

Hunt