19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 3:55 AM by Tai Lao

How to work DNG?

my fair point

Iam using a Mac g5 and PS CS3. I want to open Raw camera files, ie., IMG...CR2 (from canon 60D) and PS does not recognize them. Adobe told me to download their DNG program to convert these files which is what I did. But DNG has no access menue to apprehend these files. How do I make DNG function? Please help  Terry

• 1. Re: How to work DNG?
          Level 4

The Adobe DNG converter works on all eligible raw image files (including previously converted DNG files) in a folder.

You need to launch the application and target the desired folder by clicking on the "Select Folder" button:

DNG_Converter.jpg

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 2. Re: How to work DNG?
            my fair point Level 1

I can’t get DNGConverter to show up in the tool bar in order to command it

to “select folder”. The application is installed on my hard drive and I get

a criptic message “you cannot open this application because it is not

supported on this architecture”. What ever that means. My OS is 10.4.11 and

I was told by Adobe that this would work on Raw files without data loss. Any

thoughts?   Terry

• 3. Re: How to work DNG?
              Level 4

my fair point wrote:

I can’t get DNGConverter to show up in the tool bar in order to command it

to “select folder”…

Not sure what you mean by that, but that's irrelevant since you can't even launch the application.  I have no trouble opening DNG Converter version 6.4 (139) on my Power Mac G5 Quad running Tiger 10.4.11.   There's no "tool bar" involved here, just the one window I reproduced in my previous post.

We need details of your machine and setup.  Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 4. Re: How to work DNG?
                my fair point Level 1

Could it be that I don¹t have the actual application, only the update? If

so, how do I get the DNG program? {What is ³DNG 6.4 (139²?} The ³6.4 update²

I got is from Adobe¹s download page (adobe.com/downloads) ³Product Updates².

Please help.   Terry

• 5. Re: How to work DNG?
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DNG converter is a standalone program. It doesn't run from the toolbar or menu of any other program. There are no "update only" versions of the program. Each update is a replacement of the DNG converter program. You should have an icon on your desktop that it enables you to start the DNG converter and get the screen that was illustrated previously in this thread. If you cannot start the program that something is obviously wrong. Please give more details regarding your computer.

• 6. Re: How to work DNG?
                    my fair point Level 1

Jim, thanks for your reply. I have a powermac G5 (4 GB DDR2 SDRAM), running

OS 10.4.11 with PhotoShop CS3. I down loaded DNG 6.4 from Adobe¹s downloads

site as mentioned previously, and thought maybe this is simply an upgrade

not the actual program. Anyway, it came with an installer that put it on my

hard drive,  yet there is no ³stand alone² program to go to only the criptic

message saying this will not work on this archecture (see the previous post

to Tai Lao). What gives. Terry

• 7. Re: How to work DNG?
                      Level 4

Terry,

Show us a screenshot of the Get Info box of the application icon.  (Highlight the DNG Converter icon in the Finder and do a Get info [Command + I] in the Finder.) 

That error message you cite usually comes up when you attempt to run an Intel-only application on a Power Mac (PPC) like your G5, or when you have a messed up install or permissions issues.

Make sure you have no illegal characters in the names of anything in the path (volume names, folder names, file names).  Stick to the letters of the English alphabet, numbers and underscores.  No asterisks, apostrophes, slashes, ampersands, quotation marks, accented vowels or any other special characters.

DNG_Converter_GetInfo.jpg

• 8. Re: How to work DNG?
                        Level 4

my fair point wrote:

…and thought maybe this is simply an upgrade not the actual program…

As jim told you, there's no such thing as an "upgrade" to the DNG Converter.

• 9. Re: How to work DNG?
                          Level 4

Terry,

I investigated this further for you.  It seems that the current link at the Adobe Downloads page that is labeled DNG Converter 6.4, actually takes you to the DNG Converter 6.5 page, as I suspected.

I'll bet you if you follow the instructions I gave you above to post a screen shot of the Get Info box of your installed copy of the DNG Converter application, it will become clear that you are trying to run version 6.5, which will never run on your Power Mac G5.  The last version that will ever run on your G5 is the one I'm running on my G5 Quad and which I mentioned above, namely the Adobe DNG Converter 6.4 (139).

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2011/03/dng-converter-6-4-last-to-support-powerpc- mac-systems.html

If you can't find it on the Adobe site any more, shoot me a Private Message with your email address.

Please note that with the release of of Snow Leopard and Lion Apple has dropped all support for us PPC users too, not just Adobe.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

• 10. Re: How to work DNG?
                            Level 4

Terry,

Here's the direct link to the DNG Converter 6.4 for Macintosh:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5023

Ignore the right hand column, scroll down to the Proceed to Download button:

DNG_6_4_dnld.jpg

As explained above, this is the last version that will ever work with your G5.

• 11. Re: How to work DNG?
                              my fair point Level 1

I did as you said and got this message about nothing to install. The DNG

program is not on my hard disc and I was OK with the installation

overwriting newer (updated?) files as indicated. Now, for some reason, the

DNG will not install because ³there is nothing to install². Is this DNG so

obscure that it requires special interpreting or am I missing something.

Please let me know. I¹ve included a screengrab to aid in figuring this out.

Terry

• 12. Re: How to work DNG?
                                Level 4

If you attached an image to an email, no one on this forum will see it. Use the little camera icon in the reply editor of the web interface of the forum.  The forums are meant primarily to be accessed this way through your web browser.

my fair point wrote:

…got this message about nothing to install…for some reason, the

DNG will not install because ³there is nothing to install.

There's nothing "obscure" about this DNG Converter or any other version.  But you MUST FIRST delete the version 6.5 that gave you the "wrong architecture message" or any other version you may have.

Had you ever used a Mac before, Terry?

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 13. Re: How to work DNG?
                                  Level 4

Another BIG disadvantage of using email to access the forums is that you will NOT see any edits to the posts.

• 14. Re: How to work DNG?
                                    Level 4

Tai Lao wrote:

…Had you ever used a Mac before, Terry?

The reason I asked is because you could use Pacifist to extract just the DNG Converter from the installer package, but if you're not familiar with Pacifist, just forget about that option.

One last thing:  You can use the free Easy Find to search your disk for other copies of the DNG Converter on your hard disk.  The intrusive and utterly intrusive Spotblight and the Spotblight-driven Finder search, don't find a lot of files declared off-limits by Apple.

• 15. Re: How to work DNG?
                                      Level 4

One more thing:

If you happen to have the combined ACR and DNG Converter 6.4 installer, then you will definitely have to go through the Pacifist route, as ACR 6.x cannot be installed in CS3.

• 16. Re: How to work DNG?
                                        Level 4

Failing all of the above, send me a PM message with your email, and I'll send you a copy of the DNG Converter 6.4 that you can simply drag-copy to your Applications folder, no installer involved.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 17. Re: How to work DNG?
                                          my fair point Level 1

That would be great! The installer won’t install because it says there is

nothing to install? Even though the newer earlier version has been trashed.

Terry

• 18. Re: How to work DNG?
                                            Level 4

Check your email.  You should have it by now.

my fair point wrote:

…The installer won’t install because it says there is nothing to install? Even though the newer earlier version has been trashed…

And did you empty the trash after that?

But if it was the combined installer, it generated that error message because ACR 6.x cannot be installed in CS3.  It requires CS5.

• 19. Re: How to work DNG?
                                              Level 4

The OP reports that she's up and running now.