4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2011 10:03 PM by Rick Gerard

HELP!!!!!! Having a problem with an animation effect.......

mrrick9

I work alot in premeir pro but not real versed in after effects.  I have to do a short clip depicting a person getting hit by car.  So I went on line to get help on how to set that effect up.. Found 2 tutorials that sould like they are done bt 12tr old kids???    I think they are using CS5 and I am using CS3.  Basicly they take the person clip, the car clip and a backfround clip.  They then created a layer in photoshop for the person clip and the background clip.  Then create a lask around the photoshop layer to remove the character.  This is placed at the point of the impact.  Then you create a animated point in and you move the car 1 frame at a time and then you move the person then another frame then the person?  till the person is offf the screen.  But then your suppose to play it and see this animation.  But when I try to play it, it does not show these moves.  What am I missing.  I am so close but can't get the finished clip???? HELP!!!!

• 1. Re: HELP!!!!!! Having a problem with an animation effect.......
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you post a movie of what you have so far and also post some screenshots or more specific details about what you've done, we may be able to help. But, as it is, you haven't given us much detail to go on.

Since you're new to After Effects, I strongly suggest that you begin by working your way through the basics before attempting a complicated project. Doing so will prevent a lot of frustration. Start here to learn After Effects.

• 2. Re: HELP!!!!!! Having a problem with an animation effect.......
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What am I missing.

You're not turning on the stopwatches for the various properties and haven't read up on how to do RAM previews, thus operating on wrong preconceptions based on your Premiere Pro work? In any case, without knowing what tutorial you are referring to and a more detailed description of what you actually do using proper AE terminology this is not going anywhere. As Todd suggested, perhaps you should spend an hour with the AE help and the many links to other resources there...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: HELP!!!!!! Having a problem with an animation effect.......
              mrrick9 Level 1

Thankyou for taking a few minutes to try and help,   This is the tutorial I was watching.  www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-get-hit-by-car-adobe-after-effects-300427/    I have gotten it all the way to where I have the actor in a photos shop layer cut out and in front of the truck, I then Have moved him frame at a time liky they show untill the actor is off the screen just like it shows.  They then say to hit ALT+]  but when I scrub it back none of the animation steps I took actually seem to play, Everything I followed up to there wrked perfect....... I sure would appreciate your help........Richard Carpenter

This is pretty much the last step of the effect I am so close.....

• 4. Re: HELP!!!!!! Having a problem with an animation effect.......
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You didn't enable the stopwatch. After selecting the Photoshop layer press the P key to reveal position. Set the stopwatch and you'll get the first keyframe. Move down a frame or two and reposition your actor. A new keyframe appears. If you click on the stopwatch again you'll loose all your keyframes. Just keep moving the layer and you'll get new keyframes.

EZ. Basic, Can't do much in AE without understating keyframes. In the time you've been fiddling around with this project you could have watched a half dozen tutorials on basic AE technique. I suggest that you follow Todd's links.