3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2011 6:28 PM by John Hawkinson

Aligning lines of text on separate pages

tjordansmith Level 1

Hello!

I've worked on a document where the lines of text of facing pages are not aligned because of the the paragraph spacing I've applied to my paragraphs. I've screenshotted an example below that shows the lines of text not vertically aligned with each other. Is there a way to have InDesign automatically realign my lines of text on facing pages without messing with my paragraph spacing?

Thanks so much!

Jordan

Screen shot 2011-11-05 at 11.24.47 AM.png

• 1. Re: Aligning lines of text on separate pages
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

tjordansmith wrote:

Is there a way to have InDesign automatically realign my lines of text on facing pages without messing with my paragraph spacing? (JW: emphasis added)

No.

• 2. Re: Aligning lines of text on separate pages
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

tjordansmith wrote:

Is there a way to have InDesign automatically realign my lines of text on facing pages without messing with my paragraph spacing?

Only if the paragraph spacing is equal to the leading you are using for the body text (or if the spacing is around headings, if the combined leading + spacing for the headings equals a multiple of the leading in the body text.

In order for text to aligne across columsn or spreads it all needs to fall on the same baseline grid. You can force alignment to the grid (which should be set to the body text leading), but when you do that your defined spacing will be ignored and addtional space will be added sufficient to force the next line to the grid. If everything is in multiples of the body text leading, the alignment is automatic.

• 3. Re: Aligning lines of text on separate pages
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Is there a way to have InDesign automatically realign my lines of text on facing pages without messing with my paragraph spacing?

Only if the paragraph spacing is equal to the leading you are using for the body text (or if the spacing is around headings, if the combined leading + spacing for the headings equals a multiple of the leading in the body text.

But...It is good practice to do so!

In my opinion, you should align your text to the baseline grid, set your baseline grid to your leading, and ensure that your paragraph specing is a multiple of your leading.

You might have some success then reducing your baseline grid by an integer factor and then also adjusting the paragraph spacing to by that number, but probably not.