8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 10:26 AM by chande a k

opacity of photoshop images in after effects

shovel5000 Level 1

When I import  a photoshop image into after effects, the image always has less opacity than the video. You can see through it.

I have tried every adjustmen or effect I can find to increase the opacity but nothing works. The photshop image is 100% opacity.

I have tried importing as a comp too. Can anyone tell me how to get still images into after effects so that you cant see through them?  thanks John

• 1. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This shouldn't happen.  Just to clarify, what is the opacity of the imported layer on the AE timeline?  Are you using any transfer modes?

• 2. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
            shovel5000 Level 1

Sorry, let me back up . this is happening when I use blending mode. I am importing a picture of a truck that has a black box background and superimposing on to a video. I click blending mode and then lighten and I get the truck sitting there in front of the background. without the black box, How ever the opacity reads 100% on the time line. but you can see through the truck, this still image does not have to be on a black background, any still image that I try to use in this manner is transparent and reading 100% opacity This does not happen if I rotoscope  an object from a video clip and then import that, but just still images , jpeg psd etc. I am not using any import mode i think , I just click file , import

• 3. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your technique is wrong. You are mixing pixels not creating transparency. Do a selection of the Black Box in Photoshop then create a mask from the selection. Now import into AE and you'll be fine.

• 4. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
                chande a k Level 1

If I am not wrong... Make Selection of  the BLACK BOX in Photoshop.. press  SHIFT+CTRL+i   remove background... save black box as png file and import it in After effect and problem is solved

• 5. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What Rick and the others said - blending modes are not transparency. It may appear as if things turn transparent simply because the equation of the blending operation makes either the foreground or background pixels predominant, but they never truly are erased. and since historically PS and AE have done some of that stuff differently and to top it off things may again be influenced by color profiles, Gamma etc. the behavior you are seeing can easily be explained. As suggested, create genuine transparency using PS' selection tools, if you realyl want consistent behavior...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
                    shovel5000 Level 1

Could someone elaborate, sorry you are dealing with a beginner still. I am making my own blackbox in photoshop

by new document and then painting it black and then dropping my image onto the black box. You are saying to select

just the black portion? how is this done? also you are saying to press shift + cntrl + is that i  ? and this removes the black background? if some one has the time, could you explain a little farther or if you know of a good tutorial, that would also be good. thanks for your patience  John

• 7. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

shovel5000 wrote:

sorry you are dealing with a beginner still.

...which means that you need to begin at the beginning.  AE is NOT the kind of application that lets you jump into the deep end of the pool.  Your experiences with something as simple as importing a Photoshop document, and the confusion you encountered, are blindingly-clear testimony to that simple fact.

You really owe it to yourself to take advantage of the free training materials for beginners found here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

• 8. Re: opacity of photoshop images in after effects
                        chande a k Level 1

Andrew Yoole is right.. In the first place it should not happen.

If you are making your BLACK BOX or whatever it is in Photoshop and painting it with  perfectly opaque Black colour and background is transparent ....Do nothing simply save the image as  .png format and import it in After effect put this layer on top of the Video layer and it should be OK.  If not, please post a  Screen shot