5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 2:11 AM by Laubender

ScriptLabel for a Column

mlavie Level 1

Hi all,

In the InDesign UI, I can select a Tbale Column, and enter a vlaue for its ScriptLabel in the ScriptLabel panel. However, in the scripting DOM, ther Column object does not contain a Laebl property. So how is the InDesign UI doeing this, and how can I read/change the value for a Column ScriptLabel using scripting?

TIA,

mlavie

• 1. Re: ScriptLabel for a Column
          Harbs. Level 6

It's probably setting the label of the first cell.

Harbs

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ScriptLabel for a Column
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@mlavie:

as you have stated, there is no label property for columns (additionally: there is no label property for rows, too).
            There is a label property for  [Table] and [Cell] objects,

What you have here is a problem that relies to the UI and the ScriptLabels palette.
            Sometimes the ScriptLabels palette is wrong in showing you  entries that only rely to one part of the user's selection. This might be one case.

However, in the UI you can apply the same ScriptLabel to different cells at one time, if you select more than one cell and then apply a new label.
            Take your example: if you select the first row of your table and apply a label through UI's ScriptLabels palette you individually do that to every cell in that row.

Unfortunately, if you then add column 2 to the selection, the ScriptLabels palette shows you the same entry as for row 1. In fact there are no entries set to row 2 or to all cells in row 2.

I think this behaviour of the ScriptLabels palette is a bug.

Uwe

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: ScriptLabel for a Column
              mlavie Level 1

Hallo @Uwe,

After further research, I reached the same conclusion as you - both about InDesign's de facto behavior, and also that this really is illogical and thus a bug.

MfG,

mlavie

• 4. Re: ScriptLabel for a Column

After rereading my post:
                "… if you then add column 2 to the selection, the ScriptLabels palette shows you the same entry as for row 1. In fact there are no entries set to row 2 or to all cells in row 2"

should read as:
                "Unfortunately, if you then add column 2 to the selection, the ScriptLabels palette shows you the same entry as for column 1. In fact there are no entries set to column 2 or to all cells in column 2"

Same goes for rows.

The conclusion is all the same…

Uwe

• 5. Re: ScriptLabel for a Column

And I could trace this behaviour of the ScriptLabels palette back to InDesign CS3, CS4 and CS5.

It's a rather old bug.

@all: is that a known bug? Are there any bug reports on that issue?

Uwe