13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 10:09 AM by syrcle

Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?

syrcle

Hi all,

I'm very new to Adobe Premiere Pro so pardon the newly question.  I of course come from the Final Cut Pro world.

So one of the things I didn't get was the level of information provided in the various info panels.  I noticed that neither the file properties or info panels, display what kind of codec a particular video is when it's in the project.  Lets say I had some XDCAM files and some ProRes files that i've imported, and I look at the info on the files either through right clicking and selecting properties or selecting the file and then going to the info panel, it doesn't ever display the actual codec in which the video is in.  It usually says something like MPEG movie or Quicktime Movie, but it won't get more detailed like it's a "ProRes 422 file" or something like that.

Is there any place in Premiere where this information can be displayed?  That's something that I did like about FCP, is it's transparent display of file attributes and how specific it gets down to what codec the file is encoded in, etc.

There's got to be a place in Premiere that has that info, no?  Please advise.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for instructions on viewing properties of a clip:

"View clip properties"

(Of most interest to you is probably the command File > Get Properties For > Selection .)

If you want more information, you can use something like Gspot or MediaInfo.

BTW, these resources should help you to get started with Premiere Pro if you know FCP.

• 2. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
            syrcle Level 1

Hi Todd,

I appreciate the prompt response.  I took a look at the info you provided, and I ran into the same issue.  For the purpose of this excersize I used a ProRes 422 file and imported into the Project.  When I got properties for the file, the file type only showed Quicktime Movie but did not display what type of QT movie it was or what codec type it was.

In Final Cut Pro, in the file browser, which is similar to the Project pane, there is a column entitled "Compressor" and it displays the codec of the video imported into the project.  It can also be viewed in a similar window called Item Properties.  Is there a quick way of viewing this information within the Premiere Pro application?  I've included screenshots as an example, of what I'm talking about.  The first is what I'm looking at in Premiere Pro, and the second screen shot is a similar screen from within FCP, which displays the actual codec name.  I bring in a lot of different types of media and would like to be able to see what codecs the original video I bring in - is.  Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.29.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.37.12 PM.png

• 3. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
              syrcle Level 1

In further looking at various files I imported, it seems like it's not carrying over the metadata info that's contained in QT files that display these attributes.  Some of the files I've exported out of FCP, seem to display more detailed information, while other files, I'm importing don't display anything.  However these attributes do display in other QT compatible programs such as FCP, Compressor, and/or QT Pro through the "Get Info" screen.

Here is a screenshot of an H.264 file that just shows file type as MPEG Video.

Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.56.23 PM.png

• 4. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you tried MediaInfo and/or Gspot?

• 5. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                  syrcle Level 1

I have, but I was hoping not to have to leave the main editing application in order to view information about a file.  I know I could always fire up Quicktime Pro but when you import a bunch of files, you wanna be able to view the necessary attributes of a file, and this is something FCP did so elegantly.  I'm in the process of evaluating Premiere for my organization, as we are switching out of FCP, so as of right now we have this function and would love to continue to have something like this.

Any idea why Premiere only displays limited or general information about a file and not the specific info embedded in the QT file?

• 6. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

you wanna be able to view the necessary attributes of a file

Things are a little different between the programs.  PP handles most any standardized camera media natively, without the need for something like ProRes.  It doesn't matter all that much what the codec is.  So I'm curious why you'd find this information important to your work.

• 7. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                      syrcle Level 1

I suppose that's one way of looking at it.  Since Premiere takes anything and everything, I guess it doesn't matter as much as it used to in the world of FCP.  What's the preferred codec that Mac users running PP output to, as a master?

• 8. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

That depends largely on what your delivery will be.

• 9. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you want even more information to be shown, please file a feature request (or bug report, if that's how you think of it):

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I'm speculating here, but it may be that the reason that you're not getting much information about QuickTime files is that we're having to go through a piece of code (QT32 Server) as a bridge between 64-bit Premiere Pro and 32-bit QuickTime. It may be that the codec information isn't coming through that bridge. (I'm typing this on my phone, so I can't look at the code to check for certain.)

• 10. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                            syrcle Level 1

From what I understand, QT is now 64-bit native, so I'm not sure that would be the issue.  However it does seem that there is some sort of communication issue between Premiere Pro and the attributes embedded in the metadata of a QT file, and it seems to be related to the codec type.  I thought this was happening to all QT files, but it seems some QT files displays a ton of information, while other files display very generic info.

My company (a cable sports network) is evaluating Premiere Pro as a possible NLE for us, in our next upgrade cycle, which is mid next year, so we're really testing it out at this phase.  QT and FCP is been our lifeline, so it's important that we still have the level of stability and support associated around the QT platform.

I tried going to the Adobe Wish link and I filled everything out, but when I hit Send, it keeps giving me a "wrong page" error, so the wish link may be down.

Anyway...would love to see a feature like I described in Premiere Pro 6, if at all possible.   Thanks!!!

• 11. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                              From what I understand, QT is now 64-bit native, so I'm not sure that would be the issue.

QuickTime X is 64-bit, but that's a completely different application and architecture than QuickTime 7, which is only 32-bit. Premiere Pro uses QuickTime 7 exclusively for QuickTime import/export support, since QuickTime X a) doesn't do everything QuickTime 7 does and b) is only available on the Mac.

Premiere Pro is not a QuickTime based application, the way that FCP 7 was (I think FCP X is a completely different animal, all the way). In many respects, QT is a bolt-on in Premiere Pro, but that's by necessity rather than by design. The QT32 Server application that Todd referenced is a result of this necessity; Apple didn't make it easy for other application authors to integrate QT into their applications, so Adobe had to do the next best thing. Not including QuickTime support of any sort in Premiere Pro CS5 and beyond, once the application went 64-bit, would have been an unacceptable end for many shops and editors who use QuickTime in their workflows. This comes at certain expenses, but there's only so much Adobe could do with the limitations of the QuickTime 32-bit architecture.

That said, Adobe has done a lot with many types of QuickTime files that completely circumvent the 32-bit QuickTime process, and allows Premiere Pro to natively and directly support certain MOV flavors. For example, Canon DSLR QuickTime MOVs are handled by Premiere Pro's MPEG importer (that's why they show up as MPEG Movie in Properties), as are DV/DVCPRO50/DVCPRO HD MOVs and JVC XDCAM EX MOVs. There are several other examples as well, but the end result is the same: you don't even need QuickTime 7 installed (on Windows or Mac) to import these files and they're always handled with a 64-bit importer. That's a pretty major workflow and performance enhancement, and I think goes a long way to suggest Adobe's commitment to handling as many media types natively and as robustly as possible.

Ultimately, I think that once Apple discontinues QuickTime 7, we'll be at a crossroads. Adobe appears to be trying to support as many different QuickTime codec flavors natively as they can, but that's a long list, and there are only so many that are viable to develop and maintain support of in the future. What that means for the formats and codecs you need for your workflows, I couldn't say, but definitely use that feature request form (when it works!) to add your voice to the conversation.

• 12. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I tried going to the Adobe Wish link and I filled everything out, but when I hit Send, it keeps giving me a "wrong page" error, so the wish link may be down.

It's working for me.

If it's still broken for you, please report the issue on the forum for issues with the Adobe.com website:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/adobedotcom_feedback

• 13. Re: Codec information in the info window or anywhere in Premiere Pro?
                                  syrcle Level 1

Thanks for the clarification.  That makes total sense and puts a whole new positive perspective into our migration away from FCP and towards Premiere Pro.  The easy handling of mixed formats alone really helps in consolidating workflow for us.  I think we're so used to doing all the back end work, and keeping track of everything, that I realize that's not as neccessary from a file workflow, when using Premiere, as long as we know what we need to eventually output to.

So far, I've really enjoyed what I've experienced so far, in Premiere Pro.  I still would like to have more info on files coming in, so I'll definitely put in a request in the link above.  But definitely not a show stopper.  Thanks Todd and Colin.