6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 8:02 AM by Colin Brougham

Conforming Files in Premier Pro

Charles832 Level 1

OKay, I have just about had it and am about to go buy Final Cut Pro. Between the lock ups, the slowness (And my machine is a rocket) and this.....

This is the third time this has started to just happen and it takes 30 - 40 minutes when it does. Every time I open Premier Pro all the files in my project have to go through CONFORMING ritual.

What the heck is going on. This never happened for three years now it happens ALL THE TIME....I do not have time for this nonsense.

I7 12 GB Ram, Merc playback 285 card, ...I'm goin crazy here folks!!!

• 1. Re: Conforming Files in Premier Pro
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Did you wipe your system clean and reinstall it from the ground up as advised in your other topic?

I have just about had it and am about to go buy Final Cut Pro

So you are on a Mac?  From your other posts it seems like you're using Windows.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Conforming Files in Premier Pro
            Charles832 Level 1

PC environment....

The "%appdata% rename Adobe Premier folder 5.0"  result from Adobe Tech support worked so well for a few days I did not take that step.

Do you think my audio is constantly conforming because of a need to reload?

At any rate...you're right, I'm going to do it and shall not complain anymore until  I do...

BUT Pleaes answer a afew quick things for me about doing that...... rookie quesitons.....

Will all my files and folders open and react to the software when I re-install?

Will I have to point to the thousands of video files or will Premier know the location from the project file?

Should I empty my scratch disks after reinstall? There is a bunch in this project. This is a 1TB project now. Documentary.

Thanks for any tips or concerns about my re-laod you might share......

Charlie

• 3. Re: Conforming Files in Premier Pro

I only have one piece of advice concerning a system reinstall: make sure you've backed up your critical data before you begin.  Make very, very sure!

Pr *should* only re-conform when it can't find the previously conformed audio files.  Any chance your drive letter(s) change either during a session or after a reboot?

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Conforming Files in Premier Pro
                Charles832 Level 1

All my data files, video & audio files are on a seperate hard drive. The titles I have created throughout the project may not be however. I wonder how I will know where they are or if they are just part of the project file?

Re-conform was happening every day a few months back, and Adobe Tech had me clean (rename) that folder as stated in an earlier post, and it stopped, then it just started again this week. Really slows you down...

• 5. Re: Conforming Files in Premier Pro

Try cleaning your media cache: Edit | Preferences | Media.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: Conforming Files in Premier Pro
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Do what Jeff suggested, but you need to do this first:

1. With Premiere Pro closed, delete all the cache files created for your media. I know, I know--otherwise you'll just keeping going through this.
                    2. Rename the folder containing your media files, in particular, the media that is causing the reconforming. For example, if your folder is something like "ABC" just make it something like "ABCx" or "_ABC." The point is that, in Premiere Pro's eyes, you need to take these files offline; otherwise, the media cache database is still tracking their location.
                    3. Open Premiere Pro and create a new project. You don't need anything special; you really just need access to the Premiere Pro UI. Once open, do what Jeff mentioned. When done, you can close Premiere Pro and delete that project.
                    4. Rename you media folders back to their original names.
                    5. Reopen you original problem project, and let the files reconform. Theoretically, this will be the last time you have to do this... theoretically.

Technically, you could do this in sort of a brute force fashion by deleting all the media cache database (.MCDB) files in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache, but that would affect ALL your media, and not just the stuff causing the problems.