Sai_Editor

Guys i need to know one thing my system specs are:

Mac OS X: Version 10.6.6( Snow Leopard)
      Processor Name:          Intel Core i3

Processor Speed:          3.06 GHz

Memory:          4 GB

Chipset Model:          ATI Radeon HD 4670

Resolution:          1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth:          32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

I have a query can i use After Effects CS5.5 with these specs if not then what's the solution please guide. Also i'm looking for few tutotrials for After Effect please help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: System Requirements
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could use more ram.

The getting started section referenced on the landing page of this forum is where you should get started.

• 2. Re: System Requirements
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Rick's right about the Getting Started link, but I see one thing you'll need right away: more memory!  You're woefully short on it.  AE is a hands-down RAM hog, and the more you have, the better. 

Personally, I wouldn't even think about running AE with anything less than 8 gigs, and I wouldn't thing about using multiprocessing with anything less than 16 gigs.

• 3. Re: System Requirements
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Rick and Dave have said, more RAM would be a good idea.

This FAQ entry gives details about hardware requirements:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878520

• 4. Re: System Requirements
                Sai_Editor Level 1

I'm going buy a new iMac with these specs:

Mac OS X: Version           10.6.6( Snow Leopard)
                Processor Name:              Quad-core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:              2.8GHz

Memory:                              8 GB

Chipset Model:                  AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Resolution:                         1920 x 1080

Is this configuration enough to run After Effects CS5.5..!!

• 5. Re: System Requirements
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It's definitely a lot better than the system that you aksed about at first. With 8GB of RAM, you'll be able to work pretty smoothly as long as you don't try to run lots of programs at once---and you probably won't get much use out of the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature.

Also, be sure to consider getting at least one more hard drive.

These recommendations are all in the materials that I linked to in my previous post.

• 6. Re: System Requirements
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yes, it's enough.  However, depending on your intended use, it's just barely enough.  I wouldn't advise using multiprocessing.

Consider this: the operating system and the application itself take up about 1 gig.  Multiprocessing works best when you can assign 4 gigs to each core.  You need to leave about 25% of memory available for other purposes.  These are VERY ROUGH FIGURES, but good enough for estimation. 

So: 1 gig + 2 gigs = 3 gigs.  This leaves 5 gigs for AE processing, image buffering, RAM previews, etc.  You're down to one effective core.

If you can double the amount of memory in that machine, you'll be happier.  You'll also be happier with a second disk drive.