12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 4:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen

Dave992

Approx 4 min project with many hours invested in editing.  Now stuck with disc menu showing. Clicking organize/project leaves that window showing with no ability to edit project. Where am I going wrong?

• 1. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The windows may have gotten reconfigured.

Try going to the Window menu and selecting Restore Workspace.

• 2. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
            Dave992 Level 1

Good thought but didn't help.  By the way, the screen shows up with that stuck disc menu screen even when trying to start a new project, and regardless of the organize/edit/etc tab chosen.  It initializes with a warning showing an incompatible display driver even though it's the same that's been in the computer through all the many hours of work so far and without any such warning previously.

• 3. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
              Dave992 Level 1

Problem solved but I've no idea how.  Local computer shop re- (actually, re-re-) loaded drivers for the graphics card (though it had worked fine with elements for several months) and that may have done it.  He also cleaned out a few things though nothing distressing.  Mystery gone, if not solved.

• 4. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen

We always recommend people keep their graphics drivers and Quicktime up to date on this forum. As you've seen, doing so often makes a bigger difference than you imagine.

• 5. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
                  Ryanimay

I have this same problem and need a solution . any advice ?  how do i update the graphics drivers and quicktime ?  i think everything is up to date .  it all stopped working all of a sudden, and the preview player window is replaced by the disc menus graphic and won't budge .  please advise .

• 6. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen

You update the graphics driver by going to either the ATI or nVidia web sites (depending on which brand of graphics cards you have).

You update Quicktime at Apple.com.

• 7. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
                      Ryanimay Level 1

I was able to update everything but still no change .  Do you have any other solution ideas ?  Please help .  Here's a photo reference of how it is stuck .  The top left display does not change to show the video previewstuck.JPG

• 8. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The screen that you show, is how the GUI initially loads, and few ever see it, as it gets overwritten in a hurry. When loading a very large Project, I have seen that for a moment, and knowing what to look for, can usually see if flash (and I mean FLASH) by with New Project, or smaller Projects on load.

When one has a GUI display issue, the normal cause is the video driver. However, PrE can hang on a few other things, like the audio driver, the version of QT installed, or something else.

I may have missed it, but what video card/chip do you have?

What was the version/date of the video driver, that you installed?

Have you updated your audio driver too? If not, that would be my next step.

What version of QT Player do you have installed?

This ARTICLE has a checklist on getting PrE to work most effectively, then goes into tuning up one's system and OS, and follows with troubleshooting tips and links.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
                          nealeh Level 5

From your screenshot it looks as though your Preview button is clickable - have you tried that ?

Ryanimay wrote:

I was able to update everything.

Did you do that from the manufacturer's web site ? Windows Update usually lags many versions behind.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
                            Ryanimay Level 1

The "disc-menu" screen is really just a glitch and is not really there .  The space where the video should be playing remains blank or glitched if i adjust the size of the program window .

Therefore the preview button is not truly clickable . 

i updated to the latest drivers on my graphics and audio, through the manufacturer's site but still no change .  Also am running the latest Quick Time .

My videocard is a RADEON hd 5470 .

Have i tried everything ?

When I begin a new project, everything works fine .  When I load the work i had in progress, the preview box remains glitched .

Here is a photo of how the screen looks .

stuck2.JPG

Could something i loaded have glitched the system ?  It stopped working after hours of progress, so I don't know what the problem might be .

Thank you all for helping .

• 11. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that screen-cap is a 'classic example" of a GUI display issue, and most often related to the video driver.

Looks like you have a laptop, and AMD's site for the Radeon HD 5470 has a dozen links to various computer mfgr's. sites, for the drivers.

What is the brand of your laptop?

Did you get the driver for their Web site?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Elements 9 stuck on disc menu screen
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say:

It stopped working after hours of progress,

my first thought is that you got an OS update, or hot-fix, that rendered you video driver obsolete. That is a common cause for video driver failure. Most Windows machines have the OS updates set to automatic, and to the user, those are mostly transparent. However, what can easily happen is that one day, everything is working fine, then the update, then programs, that interface closely with the video driver (most do not) fails to function. That is why video card/chip mfgrs. issue updated drivers about one per month.

Good luck,

Hunt