9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 9:51 AM by Frustrated in AZ

" File Open Failed"

MinEbog

Hi

I receive " File Open Failed" when trying to read a book borrowed and downloaded to my E book reader. Trying to read the same book from my PC functions OK - also when doing it for the version downloaded to the E book reader.

Where am I failing ? <+

<<<br MinEbog

• 1. Re: " File Open Failed"
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I have to read between the lines here.  Ebooks can have digital rights

assigned to them by the publisher and/or distributor or a library.

Typically, there are restrictions on where you can download the item, and

that may account for your problem.  You can check this by looking at the

digital rights assigned.  Each ebook has 'Item Info' available for display

- just put your cursor on the small arrow next to the name of the ebook

when ADE is open to Library View. Then, choose 'Item Info' from the

drop-down menu,  You'll see the digital rights in the middle of the screen

that comes up.

If the rights indicate no copying, that's why you can't do the transfer.

• 2. Re: " File Open Failed"
            MinEbog Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the answer but the ebooks are downloaded to the PC and from the

PC to the Ebook - all done via ADE. When looking on item info the books can

be viewed but not copyed or printed. When trying to read the version

located on the ebook it can be done when using the PC but when trying on

the ereader the file can't open oan the message File open failed appears.

br Gert

2011/11/7 Frustrated in AZ <forums@adobe.com>

Re: " File Open Failed"  created by Frustrated in AZ<http://forums.adobe.com/people/FrustratedinAZ>in

Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4011781#4011781>

• 3. Re: " File Open Failed"
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

That's exactly what I meant.  The digital rights that have been set for the

ebook prevents you from copying it to your ereader.  There's nothing you

can do about it.....  Sorry!

==============

• 4. Re: " File Open Failed"
                MinEbog Level 1

Hi again

Does that mean I have to remove and reinstall ADE on my PC to align the 2 systems or how do I fix this situation. I one way or another it ought to be possible to load an ebook I have borrowed from the public library to my ereader - that's the basic idea of this gadget.

Besides in the meantime i have loaded a book where the items attributes all were allowed. Also for such an ebook I receive a File Open Failed - should that not be allowed or ?

• 5. Re: " File Open Failed"
                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

You can't do anything at all about restrictions on digital rights.  I said

that earlier.  But I want to take a moment to discuss the concerns you've

included in this post.

To start with, each ebook either has digital rights assigned or not.  So,

if one cannot be copied, that does not mean that any others can't.  You may

- make that will - run into other ebooks that can't be copied, and it will

be a pain in the butt when you do.  But, don't assume that ALL ebooks are

going to be a problem.

I think you missed another point that I made.  This is not the fault of ADE

- the software is just doing the job it's been programmed to do with each

ebook you download.  You don't need to do anything to ADE.

Let's tackle the comment you made about downloading ebooks from a library.

Technically, the library allowed you to download the ebook - to your

computer.  That's really all they have to do.  You can call the library and

tell them that the library ebook you downloaded can't be copied to your

ereader and see if they can do something about that.  I am doubtful,

though, because publishers - not the library - don't want people to

redistribute their ebooks, and that's one reason they block copying.

It's possible also to download an ebook directly to your ereader IF the

library or bookseller is set up to do that.  Most libraries are not.

You mention that there are other times that you get the 'File Open Failed'

message.  If you give me more information about the circumstances, I'll try

to work with you to figure out what to do

===================

• 6. Re: " File Open Failed"
                    MinEbog Level 1

Hi

the cases I thought of was when I downloaded a book from Adobes site. I

fetched The adventures af Sherlock Holmes. The attributes in item for

viewing, copying and printing was allowed to any device. When doing that I

thought it would be possible to read it on my ereader, but nope. Like in

the other cases the file is visible when looking in the ereader - same size

and same attributes as on the PC.

Then "file open failed" is a bit confusing.

Br gert

2011/11/8 Frustrated in AZ <forums@adobe.com>

Re: " File Open Failed"  created by Frustrated in AZ<http://forums.adobe.com/people/FrustratedinAZ>in

Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4013916#4013916>

• 7. Re: " File Open Failed"
                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Hmmm...  You've done what you are supposed to do if you can open the ebook

on your computer, and transfer it to your ereader via drag and drop.  The

only other thing I can think of is that your ereader's software isn't

working properly.  Try going to the ereader manufacturer's site and see if

there is an updated set of software available.

It occurs to me that we've been using generalities here.  What brand and

model of ereader is giving you all this trouble?

===============

• 8. Re: " File Open Failed"
                        MinEbog Level 1

It is an ereader from RockChip and in the spec EPUB format is mentioned as

supported, but that seems not to be the case.

br Gert

2011/11/9 Frustrated in AZ <forums@adobe.com>

Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4015301#4015301>

• 9. Re: " File Open Failed"
                          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Thanks for the response.  The fact that the manufacturer says the device

will work with epub documents doesn't mean that ADE is the interface.

I looked up 'RockChip' in the list of devices supported by Digital Editions

HERE <http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices>, and

there is no listing.  Which means that ADE has no support for that device.

That could explain why you're having trouble.  And, unfortunately, there's

not much more that I can think of doing to try to help you out.  You could

try to use other software, such as Bluefire Reader or Overdrive to do the

same thing.

========