6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 4:50 PM by peter minneapolis

Paragraph Style Sheet (One sheet to rule them all)

RTE4Philly_18

Does anybody know if there is a way to utilize and update only one version of paragraph styles to manage multiple documents? For example, I create one set of paragraph/character rules that apply to several documents in a book. That way when I make the change to a paragraph (or character style), those style changes will automatically cascade to the linked documents? Basically I'm asking if I can use paragraph styles like I can an external cascading style sheet on the web, but in this case for print?

Anybody know?

• 1. Re: Paragraph Style Sheet (One sheet to rule them all)
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Automatically? No, but you can do a simple synch from the book panel and choose the file you’ve made changes to as the source.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Paragraph Style Sheet (One sheet to rule them all)
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could use a BOOK file to manage your document paragraph styles! Using 1 document as the style master and then you can Sync the book styles to the style master.

Turn off all other options, like pagination and the usual book stuff. I've done this before, it works quite well.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Paragraph Style Sheet (One sheet to rule them all)
              RTE4Philly_18 Level 1

Thanks Bob & Eugene,

Both really good suggestions. That's actually what I'm currently doing. But we use a lot of the same styles for all of the corporate documents we maintain -  from brochures, to one sheeters, to postcards, etc. And I was hoping to just have one master style sheet like you would use on the web that would just cascade to all. That way when I create a new document, I can reference that document and have it stay up to date without having to add it into a book with a "master" or have to load external styles from the master in a new document. I didn't think they had exactly what I was looking for but I wanted to ask some of the other pros to make sure. Thanks anyways guys, I really appreciate your fast responses!

• 4. Re: Paragraph Style Sheet (One sheet to rule them all)
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you considered using templates?

You can rename them with the .indd extension to put them in a book for synching, then name them back to .indt for use.

• 5. Re: Paragraph Style Sheet (One sheet to rule them all)
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can choose to "Load Styles" from the Paragraph Style Menu

That way you could select the "Master" style document. Choose "Load All Text Styles" and make sure "use incoming definition is selected.

• 6. Re: Paragraph Style Sheet (One sheet to rule them all)
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

RTE4Philly_18 wrote:

Thanks Bob & Eugene,

Both really good suggestions. That's actually what I'm currently doing. But we use a lot of the same styles for all of the corporate documents we maintain -  from brochures, to one sheeters, to postcards, etc. And I was hoping to just have one master style sheet like you would use on the web that would just cascade to all. That way when I create a new document, I can reference that document and have it stay up to date without having to add it into a book with a "master" or have to load external styles from the master in a new document. I didn't think they had exactly what I was looking for but I wanted to ask some of the other pros to make sure. Thanks anyways guys, I really appreciate your fast responses!

You can submit a formal feature request to allow loading styles from non-book documents to files in a book, and also to allow non-book documents to be the style source for synchronizing a book's files. Here: wish

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices