4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 11:44 AM by Adam-C

Where is Rosetta on Mac

AlbumMan

Can Projectors be created for Mac 10.6 without Rosetta?

My project is heavily dependant on 3rd party Xtras - Printomatic - fileXtra4 - DirectEmail - DirectFTP

They do not seem to be recognised within D11 so I must stay with MX2004

Any suggestions - Many Thanks

AlbumMan

• 1. Re: Where is Rosetta on Mac
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

I think you can run under Rosetta on 10.6, but not 10.7

• 2. Re: Where is Rosetta on Mac
            AlbumMan Level 1

Thanks for that. Is it possible to include Rossetta as part of a download with the project and install it at the same time as the project?

Without the use of these Xtras, Director will become redundant.

Can anybody suggest an alternative for downloadable apps that allow access to the users HD and can e-mail and ftp?

• 3. Re: Where is Rosetta on Mac
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Is it possible to include Rossetta as part of a download with the project and install it at the same time as the project?

I've never heard of this being done and suspect it's impossible

Can anybody suggest an alternative for downloadable apps that allow access to the users HD and can e-mail and ftp?

Have you looked over the mile high table for alternatives? Buddy API provides HDD access, depending on what you need to do. Printomatic can be worked around by using Flash to print. Email I'm unsure of, but check the list at the mile high table. FTP might be achieved with Valentin's Shell xtra and a command-line utility or his (alpha) QtWidgets xtra.

• 4. Re: Where is Rosetta on Mac
                Adam-C Level 2

My project is heavily dependant on 3rd party Xtras - Printomatic - fileXtra4 - DirectEmail - DirectFTP

They do not seem to be recognised within D11 so I must stay with MX2004

So far I haven't come across a single 3rd party Director 10 (and below) Xtra that will work in Director 11+. I believe it's to do with the UTF8 overhaul that was given to Director in version 11. As a result, all Mac Xtras need to be updated to use a UTF8 codepage rather than a MacOSRoman one. I have no idea if the same incompatibility exists on a Windows platform.

If you're using Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher then you will not be able to install Director MX2004 at all - Apple have blocked it (although strangely you can install Director MX). It's very frustrating - I fell foul of this only after forking out £2000 for a new Mac (and have found Director 11 to be riddled with bugs).

Is it possible to include Rossetta as part of a download with the project and install it at the same time as the project?

Nope - you're misconstruing what Rosetta is. Rosetta is (in effect) a virtual PowerPC chip that runs on the modern Mac Intel hardware. Apple included it in all versions of OSX up-to-and-including 10.6 (Snow Leopard), so Director MX projectors will run on Macs that have up-to this OS, but not beyond. You will still need to author on a pre 10.6 OS if you want to use Director MX2004, though. Rosetta is quite a deep-level part of Mac OSX, so even if it were possible to install it somehow, it would rely on Apple releasing a version that was compatible with Lion (10.7), and don't see that happening at all.

Without the use of these Xtras, Director will become redundant

Well, you've hit on a common theme that's running through this forum. We all love Director and what it's capable of, but Adobe seem to have very different ideas of what Director is, who uses it, and where its future lies. The biggest reason for the lack of updates to older Xtras, though, is that the C libraries that most Xtra developers use to help them develop their Xtras are not UTF8 compatible, and therefore can't produce Xtras that will work with Director. Given that Director is now a somewhat niche product (thanks in large part to its lack of proper support from Adobe) there's little-to-no incentive on developers to go to the effort of updating their Xtras, especially given the absence of any update to the C libraries. Without Xtras Director won't win-back users, and without users developers won't update their Xtras. It's a viscous circle. Thankfully some essential Xtras have been updated, most notably (IMO) the Buddy Api (and related) Xtras.

So yes, it's very frustrating to be a Director developer just now, and even more frustrating to be a Mac-based Director developer