14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 5:47 AM by tonyharmer

Exporting XML.

Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Hi,

I've asked about this before, but, now I'm a little deeper into it. I've got a book with many chapters. Each chapter is its own ID file. If I'm in one of those chapters, why is it that, in the tags window, when I choose "map styles to tags," nothing happens. I thought that this feature meant that it would create xml tags for each paragraph style tag. No?

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: Exporting XML.
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Peter, here is a link to your original thread, with responses that should help.

• 2. Re: Exporting XML.
            Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Yes, I know, but, those responses answered some of my rudimentary questions. But, I still need more. Sorry.

• 3. Re: Exporting XML.
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

If these two things are not the issue: tags created, paragraph styles created and applied to text, then it may be what follows. When you select map styles to tags, you will see a window with a two columns. Left side is all your styles, right side is for tags. Select [Not mapped] this is a dropdown, you will see a list of tags. Select the tag and map it to the corresponding paragraph style.

• 4. Re: Exporting XML.
                tonyharmer Level 3

Peter, try this.

Open the Structure pane. Cmd-alt-1 (on Windows, Ctrl-alt-1).

In the top right hand corner of the structure pane you'll find the panel menu.

Select "Add Untagged Items", you'll then have some tags to map styles to (obviously, I can't see your document from here but you should get a series of articles with stories contained therein).

For future reference, IDUG Chapter Rep Jim Maivald has a most excellent book on XML and InDesign, and a course on Lynda.com, as well as his web reference.

And just for good measure - here's a link to the help system on autotagging.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6cefa.h tml

• 5. Re: Exporting XML.
                  Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Exactly, Jeffrey. But, yes, I have no tags at all. Of course, I've got about 40 paragraph styles, but no xml tags. When I select "not mapped," all I see as a choice is "root." I guess I'm just confused by this selection--"map styles to tags." I thought that it would somehow auto-create tags for me, based on the paragraph style names. It appears that I have to first create xml tags before I proceed. Correct?

• 6. Re: Exporting XML.
                    Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Thanks, Tony. When I press cmd + alt + 1, I get a weird message. "No URLAlertTitle." But, I did choose "add untagged items." And, lo and behold, there are a bunch of tags there. But, I see that they're rather arbitrarily named. They certainly don't match my paragraph style names. And, now that I look at my paragraph style names, they're full of spancebands, so, obviously, they can't be xml tag names, too.

I guess I was thinking that a lot of work would be saved by me choosing "map styles to tags." Where xml tags would automatically be created to somehow match corresponding style names.

• 7. Re: Exporting XML.
                      tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Peter

I think you pressed cmd-alt-1 while still in your browser.

Once you have tags, you can map styles to them as Jeffrey described above.

Just so I know (and may be able to help you further) can you tell me EXACTLY what it is you are trying to achieve? I know you have a book, but why are you trying to tag your chapters for XML?

I have not read the earlier post mentioned above - could you send me a link to that, also?

• 8. Re: Exporting XML.
                        Peter B. Bailey Level 1

I do get that message, yes, while I'm in InDesign. I've tried it again 3 or 4 times. . . .

I work for a publishing company. We use an SGML-based publishing [unix] system. There are a number of sgml/xml experts here in my company. Our company publishes a lot of books. Because of their nature, very few of them are created in our sgml publishing system. They're created mostly by outside typesetters. Most of them now use InDesign. So, someone in our data department asked me if I could take some of these InDesign files and get XML out of them. With that XML, they can more easily either convert to SGML, or, go to the web with HTML.

• 9. Re: Exporting XML.
                          Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Here's a link to that previous discussion, Tony.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4007997#4007997

• 10. Re: Exporting XML.
                            tonyharmer Level 3

Thank you. I have looked and it seems that you have been offered plenty of good advice there. The only thing I think you're missing is the Tags panel (in CS5.5 Window > Utilities > Tags) - from there you can add tags manually to blocks of content. John Hawkinson actually popped you a script up there to save you doing this manually.

I don't think there's anything I can add that hasn't been offered on that thread already. I notice that you have also seen Jim Maivald's book - it really is the resource you should be looking at, I think.

Good luck!

• 11. Re: Exporting XML.
                              Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Thanks, Tony. Well, yes, I do have the book. But, I have to say, it's completely confusing to me. The chapter on exporting xml leaves me wanting. Anyway, I do think I'm making some progress. It appears that I just have to do more work than I originally thought. I don't understand why ID has the choice "map styles to tags," "map by name." It means nothing. I have to create the "names."

• 12. Re: Exporting XML.
                                tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Peter

ID has the Map Styles to Tags feature mainly for workflows which involve XML data coming in to the program so that it can be purposed inside of InDesign. ID does also support workflows the other way around too but the tags (which identify the data) are separate from the styles (which modify the appearance of the data).

Perevere with Jim's book and the excellent help you have been given on your other thread - you'll get there!

• 13. Re: Exporting XML.
                                  Peter B. Bailey Level 1

After choosing "add untagged items," I get about 600 tags in the structure window for every single header in the book! This is a 330 page legalese book. I don't want the headers included in the xml. And, I've not chosen anything regarding master pages in my choices. Why does it do this? It's not helpful at all.

• 14. Re: Exporting XML.
                                    tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Peter

Peter Britt Bailey wrote:

After choosing "add untagged items," I get about 600 tags in the structure window for every single header in the book! This is a 330 page legalese book. I don't want the headers included in the xml. And, I've not chosen anything regarding master pages in my choices. Why does it do this? It's not helpful at all.

You'll get as many tags as are necessary to delineate a structure. ID does it because it's trying to guess at what that structure might be. Without looking at your document I have no idea of how you've put it together so my responses will be limited, sorry.

If your team are SGML/XML savvy, then have you tried exporting to HTML, and then using an XSLT to transform the data?