4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2013 1:44 AM by sjpt

recieving error message: Error getting license Error E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIM

sherck84

I finally made to the point where im ready to transfer my books but when i go into my account on google books and click download epub to transfer them to ADE it opens ADE and I get

Error getting license

Error E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIMIT_REACHED

the issue is that i have never used this thing before so i dont understand how it can be full or if that is even what it is referring to

• 1. Re: recieving error message: Error getting license Error E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIM
          kierandsmith79

I am having exactly the same issue. Never downloaded a Google ebook before and now getting the same error message using ADE v 2.0:

Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem:

E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIMIT_REACHED

Any help or advice greatly appreciated, as 4 days later Google's customer support email is still to reply. Great customer service!!

• 2. Re: recieving error message: Error getting license Error E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIM
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

This is a wierd one.  The messages are telling you two different things.

The first relates to the Adobe server and is usually caused by some

settings in Windows that block communications with the Adobe site.  You

should be able to do some searching on the forum and find out how others

have resolved this.

The second one says you've reached your Google device limit - which won't

be an Adobe issue, although Adobe also has a similar message.  I don't know

what to tell you - this is the first time I've heard of this message.

Sorry!

============

• 3. Re: recieving error message: Error getting license Error E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIM
              RiRam

Very frustrated with this.  I get the same error.  Adobe Chat support told me that I still have one activation left, and because of that they could not reset my user id.  They also told me that because Digital Editions is a "free" software then they couldn't provide support and referred me to these forums.

I had read elsewhere (Google perhaps), that Adobe needed to reset the user id for this error to be fixed.  So I spoke with someone at Google over the weekend and they said that they sent a request to Adobe to have them reset my user id; however, apparently I still have one device activation available, and so the Adobe Chat representative would have reset my user id but would not because of that one remaining activation available.

I've deactivated this device and reactivated it, and this gives me no problems and says I can now read ebooks and transfer them amongst devices... but when I try to load ebooks that I PURCHASED it gives me this same error, and I am unable to do what the supposed activated device says that I can do.

So... even when activations are available, it seems that there is something in Adobe's user id server information that thinks otherwise, so it doesn't let you download and read the ebooks.  I do not believe that users can change this from their end, and it's not a software or user device problem either. 

Honeslty, this is the worse ebook reading system that I know of.  Amazon Kindle does not have this issue at all... so it's something that Adobe just simply doesn't care about, even when customers are buying ebooks that use this software which Adobe offers for "free" and offers no support for.

If anyone knows how to fix this PLEASE let me and others know. 

Thanks.

• 4. Re: recieving error message: Error getting license Error E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIM
                sjpt Level 4

The execution of Adobe DRM is terrible.  The ADE program may be free; but I assume Adobe is making money out of licensing the DRM system, and as ADE is an essential part of that system for many consumers, Adobe should provide appropriate support.  That support should include online viewing and editing of all registrations associated with a particular AdobeID.

It may be worth trying the earlier version of ADE (v1.7.2) to see if that helps.  The new version introduced lots of new bugs; I haven't heard of your particular bug, but ....

Probably best to deregister the V2.0 first, using ctrl-shift-D, as it might otherwise thing that your V2.0 and v1.7.2 are separate registrations.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172