3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 9:21 AM by glosstud

2.1 Stereo Sound

codywinton92 Level 1

I am doing the audio for a documentary and I exported the audio as a .wav stereo file, then exported, as a seperate .wav file, the bass ".1" file. Is there a special way that you have to put that .wav in the timeline to be true "2.1" Stereo? I am running Premiere Pro CS 5.5 for Mac. I used Audition CS 5.5 for the audio.

• 1. Re: 2.1 Stereo Sound
          Harm Millaard Level 7

AFAIK there does not exist a 2.1 format. There is 2.0 or 5.1 however.

• 2. Re: 2.1 Stereo Sound
            Jim_Simon Level 8

PP doesn't offer the option of 2.1 audio.  You'll have to use a standard 5.1 sequence, and just leave the center and surround channels empty.

Note that such a config may not allow receivers to go into ProLogic or other matrix modes, which means the channels will be kept as Left and Right, even if the viewer has a 5.1 setup.  That is kind of weird.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 2.1 Stereo Sound
              glosstud Level 1

There is not officially a 2.1 surround but there is a 2.1 surround..now thats confused you..heres why

5.1 is a setup consisting of the following.

1x left front spkr

1x right front spkr

1x center front spkr

1x rear left spkr

1x rear right spkr

and finally 1x dedicated sub spkr.

All the above are encoded in the mix.

If you want 2.1 sound then there are no presets, all you can do is have a stereo channel and set your playback amplifier to use the sub woofer, and the crossover within the system will give you a left/ right and sub channel.so 2.1. But its really just stereo .