1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 3:04 AM by Peter Spier

Text variable question

creusche

I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on the easiest way to set up a text variable.

Background: I have a document that contains a schedule and activity sheets.Each schedule is labeled according to Week. (Week 1, 2, 3, etc)
      each has it's own section marker  set accordingly in InDesign to be Week 1, Week 2, etc.)

Within the content of these schedule, I have content that is supposed to match up with the week. "See Week 9 Activity Sheet..." ( but I'm finding a few incorrect references...ike when Week 9 is really week 10)

It would make life easier if I used section markers to reference the week numbers in the notes, since we very rarely reference another week's Activity Sheet instead of saying:  See Week 9 Activity Sheet the text would functionally be: "See Week [Section Marker] Activity Sheet..."

That way, the number in the text is determined by the section marker, and we'd be 95% sure it was right all the time, and we'd have less to proof.

So for text variables: (Would I go to "define" and then choose type - "custom text"), I can type in "Week mmm Activity Sheet" as the text variable, and then I should be able to set a keyboard shortcut up to insert that much automatically. Then all I'd need to do is do a find/replace in the document where I search for all of the "mmm"s and replace them with section markers. For some reason, I couldn't get the section marker to insert correctly as a text variable.

Am I doing something wrong or is there an easier way to set this up to replace all the Week _ Activity Sheet with Section numbers? It would definitely save some proofing time.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Text variable question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I flagged this last month and meant to get back to it, but it slipped through the cracks (and down the page on my email). I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, so I'm not sure how a variable is going to help you, but I can tell you for sure how it won't. As far as ID is concerned, the varible is really a single character in the running text. the only place you can edit the content of a custom text variable is in the variable defintion itself.

I have a strong feeling that using a Cross Reference might be more appropriate here, but it requires a bit more work to set up.