21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 3:49 PM by Thomas Mindtransplant

Using AE for a FCPX video clip

missamr Level 1

Hi

I have a macbook pro and i am currently using Final Cut Pro X but didnt buy Motion 5 with it.  I have also bought Adobe Master Suite 5.5.  I am wondering if i can use After Effects in conjunction with FCPX.  Is this possible?

I can hear people asking why dont i use Premier - I am quite partial to FCPX and this is what i like to use. Personal Preference i guess....

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Amanda

• 1. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You can render and export movies from FCPX and use them in After Effects, and vice versa.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
            missamr Level 1

Ok, thanks.

• 3. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
              bogiesan Level 4

Stop buying lattes for two weeks and spend $50 on Motion 5. You may be quite supprised at the integration between FCPX and Motion for most of your everyday effects and compositing needs. You simply must have After Effects in your professional toolbox, though, and you should learn it well enough to be good at it. AE is where you will make your money on effects. Motion is where you will do many of your down and dirty or rapid turn around projects.

However, those of us who have been using Final Cut since version 1 or 2 and Motion since version 1 have a bad feeling about Apple's commitment to whatis , compared to iOS and iTunes, a tiny niche market for them.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                missamr Level 1

Most of my projects are 3 - 4 minutes in length so its nothing major.  So maybe for $50 i should suck it up and buy it if it has a good intergration with FCPX.  And if necessary i can still use AE.

Thank you for your help.

Amanda

• 5. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                  bogiesan Level 4

Perhaps, but if you already have After Effects, and you can use it well, save your money. It's not the length of your finished projects that matters; it's what effects you need in them.

bogiesan

• 6. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                    missamr Level 1

Does any one have a work flow that they could share on how to get a project from FCPX to AE?

• 7. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Export clips or timelines(?) from iMovie Pro for use in AE.  Import them into AE.  Do your AE voodoo.  Render in the Quicktime codec of choice.

For the anal-retentive, extremely quality-conscious, take a close look at the Final Cut timeline(?).  If you're in ProRes already, that's a good choice.  ProRes 4444 will support alpha channels.

• 8. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                        bogiesan Level 4

Do you mean like using Automatic Duck? No, sadly.

bogiesan

• 9. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                          missamr Level 1

What file format do they need to be in to export it AE?  I read somewhere to export in XML, import to Premiere Pro then Export to AE.  Would this be right?  or if there is an easier way?

I believe i am in ProRes but i will have a look when i get home.

• 10. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

missamr wrote:

I read somewhere to export in XML, import to Premiere Pro then Export to AE.  Would this be right?  or if there is an easier way?

That XML trick is for Final Cut Pro 7.0.3, but you're using iMovie Pro, aka FCPX. 

Sorry, but you're stuck with the old-fashioned way of doing it, i.e. exporting the video you want to use in AE.

And good luck replacing the desired clip(s) in your iMovie Pro timeline(?) with the clips rendered using AE.

• 11. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                              missamr Level 1

So what should i export them to/with?

I exported it using automatic duck last night, then imported it to AE and i couldnt see any of the clips - i just wanted to test it, now all of my clips in FCPX are not there (expect for two which is weird) saying the clips have been modified. 

Am i better off just sticking to one set of software (Motion, FCPX, Compressor v Adobe software)?

thanks

• 12. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

"So what should i export them to/with?"

You mean iMovie Pro lacks the ability to export self-contained Quicktime movies in the codec of your choice?

"Am i better off just sticking to one set of software (Motion, FCPX, Compressor v Adobe software)?"

I'd re-read Bogesian's advice on the topic.  The gent is well-versed in Macs and really knows his stuff.

• 13. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                  bogiesan Level 4

missamr wrote:

So what should i export them to/with?

I exported it using automatic duck last night, then imported it to AE and i couldnt see any of the clips - i just wanted to test it, now all of my clips in FCPX are not there (expect for two which is weird) saying the clips have been modified. 

Am i better off just sticking to one set of software (Motion, FCPX, Compressor v Adobe software)?

thanks

I was not aware there was an Automatic Duck product compatible with both CS5.5 and FCPX. There is one, must have been pushed out the Duck's doors just as they were shutting down their operations.

But it only handles audio!

From the AD site:

> When you purchase Pro Export FCP 4.0 for Final Cut Pro 7 you will also receive Pro Export FCP 5.0 for Final Cut Pro X which allows you to send audio from FCPX to Pro Tools.

The exclusive AAF and OMF export for Final Cut Pro X.

• All audio "tracks" exported at once
                                  • Audio media embedding option
                                  • Audio resampling to 32000 KHz, 44100 KHz, 48000 KHz or 96000 KHz for maximum export flexibility
                                  • Bit rate options of 16-bit or 24-bit
                                  • User definable handles for export
                                  • Audio crossfades
                                  • Audio keyframes become gain automation
                                  • Clip-based audio levels
                                  • Manual fades (At this time fades are not maintained when clip also has a volume adjustment applied.
                                  • Retiming is not supported
                                  • 14. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                    bogiesan Level 4

missamr wrote:

Does any one have a work flow that they could share on how to get a project from FCPX to AE?

Forget trying to move a project or timeline from FCPX to anywhere except possibly Motion. You can import raw or trimmed and exported clips into AE, render/export, and bring those movies back to FCPX.

If you must move timelines around, learn how to use Motion's integration with FCPX.

But neither AE nor Motion are meant to be used for editing. Even back when AD had only one product that moved timelines from Media 100 to AE it was s silly thing to do. Caused more problems than it ever solved for me. But I know Avid peopel who simply loved the AD that moved their timelines into AE.

• 15. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                      missamr Level 1

I dont want to edit the timeline in Motion.  All i am really after is to add different effects/text/animation to certain parts of a completed timeline - in terms of adding/editing individual clips, which is limited in FCPX.

How do i render in AE to be able to import it back to FCPX?  Ha. So i just read that audio thing, that would be why i couldnt see any of the vids in AE. Damn, i feel silly now.

Thank you for your help on all of this.  I tell you, some learning some valuable lessons from this.

Thanks again

• 16. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                        bogiesan Level 4

missamr wrote:

I dont want to edit the timeline in Motion.  All i am really after is to add different effects/text/animation to certain parts of a completed timeline - in terms of adding/editing individual clips, which is limited in FCPX.

How do i render in AE to be able to import it back to FCPX?

In the olden days, we'd carefully plan the edit.

Say I need to apply a Ripple Pulse distortion effect to clip1. So I export clip1 out of FCP (or just go find the raw clip) and bring it into AE, apply the effect, render, it is now clip1a. Back to FCP, import clip1a, put it in the timeline. If I need to back to AE later and make a change, I render out clip1b. I usually do not include audio with AE renders or, if I do, I'm simply using it to match back to the main timeline audio.

Say I need to apply a lovely and oily smooth CArd Dance transition between clip3 and clip4 but the transition, which will last precisely 5 seconds and 12 frames, has to begin and end at exact time locations whthin the clips. Since markers don't come across between the apps, I write down the timecode for the hooks, export each clip or find the original raw clips, bring them into AE, design the Card Dance, render the entire project wihich linclude handles on both ends and the transition and call that clip3to4a. If I need to go back, I render out clip3to4b. I go to FCP import clip3to4a and drop it into the timeline. This replaces those two clips.

You use the exact same codecs at every step or you will have color shift issues.

I've never used FCPX. From what I hear, it's just not any fun when it comes to the advanced editing basics every professional needs.

• 17. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                          bogiesan Level 4

Dave LaRonde wrote:

I'd re-read Bogesian's advice on the topic.  The gent is well-versed in Macs and really knows his stuff.

It's a good illusion, ain't it?

• 18. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                            missamr Level 1

How does Motion interact with FCPX, do you know?  Would you have to import/export every clip to add an effect to them?

I think my problem lies with the importing exporting steps and how i do that? Do i export them as a XML file or what type of file?  Do i need a third party program to be able to import them in to AE?  Once they are in AE  i save it as a different name (clip1a) but what file extention to be able to import it back to FCP?

I tried exporting my time line as an XML but it saves it as a .fcpxml extention.  I went to open it up in Premiere Pro but it doesnt recognise this file and as Dave said that worked for the old version.  So im guessing there is another way.

my clip file extentions are .m4v (i think) as well as some go pro files (not sure of there file type)

• 19. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                              bogiesan Level 4

I thought we dealt with XML long ago. Doesn't seem to work.

AE will not like mp4. Use a frame-based codec.

Understanding Apple apps is something you can find help with on apple's forums. Last time I looked, the FCPX forum was a nasty place.

• 20. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                                chystorm Level 1

why is it that Davinci Resolve can easily import fcpxml files, and AE CS6, even after hiring the guru from Automatic Duck, still can't? AND no round tripping to AE or Premiere with Speedgrade at all in any format? What are you doing over there with our money?

• 21. Re: Using AE for a FCPX video clip
                                                  Thomas Mindtransplant Level 1

@chystorm: I guess it´s a strategic reason why Adobe bought Automatic Duck and haven´t developed an importer for fcpxml files. They will never develop a fcpxml importer! If there´s no way to get your clips from FCP X to AE what options were left? They want to make Premiere more attractive this way.

@everyone: If you want to get your timeline (project) or some selected clips from FCP X to After Effects try ClipExporter. It does almost the same as Automatic Duck. It is currently the easiest and fastest workflow solution.

Thomas