5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 12:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Need another hard drive  - any suggestions on specs and setup?

fishmor

I started working with video in Premiere about a year ago - I have filled up 1 TB and I need to buy an external HD.  Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for what kind works good for editing?  Also I think I am supposed to set up so that PRE runs from 1 HD and all of my video is on the other, is that accurate?  I'm using PRE 8 and I have some projects that I want to stay intact when I make the switch.  In other words, if I reinstall PRE so that the video is captured to the new HD, how does this affect other projects where the program and all the data is on 1 HD?  Any help would be appreciated - Eric 

• 1. Re: Need another hard drive  - any suggestions on specs and setup?
          Paul787 Level 3

Can you add another internal drive? An internal SATA drive will transfer data much faster then an external (I'm assuming USB connected) drive and 7200 RPM is strongly recommended. If your computer is relatively new, it should be able to use a SATA-2 drive (good) or SATA-3 (even faster). Also, set the scratch disk settings so that they are directed to your new drive. Keep your PRE software on your main drive and for new projects, import your video files to the new drive.

A large percentage of computer hard drives for the world are manufactured in Thailand, and with the recent severe flooding there, you may find that prices for some hard drives, particularly the 1TB size, have jumped dramatically in price so be sure to shop around. A Seagate 1TB Barracude SATA-2 7200RPM drive that I bought 3 months ago for $52 is now retailing at the same store for $130. Yikes!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need another hard drive  - any suggestions on specs and setup?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, if you do get an internal hard drive, be sure to set it up in the BIOS rather than just letting the operating system install it. You enter the BIOS by pressing ESC or F1 or whatever is indicated on the logo screen that shows up just before Windows starts loading when you start up your computer. If you don't do this, you'll get pretty poor performance from your new drive.

To move your projects to your new drive, you should use Premiere Elements' Project Archiver tool (under the File menu). That way all of your media and connections to the project will remain intact during the move.

• 3. Re: Need another hard drive  - any suggestions on specs and setup?
              fishmor Level 1

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get an external HD - I have 1 expansion bay and I put a Blu-Ray burner in it.  I'm wondering if I'm actually going to slow it down since the HD will be USB connected like Paul said.  It sounds like I don't need to reinstall PRE to make the changes, but I thought that when capturing video, it always goes to the default location - can I change it to the new HD when it's installed without reinstalling PRE?  Thanks guys, Eric 

• 5. Re: Need another hard drive  - any suggestions on specs and setup?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For the smoothest and fastest Video-editing, being able to spread the I/O load over several HDD's, is really good.

Externals can present some unique problems, but this ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail. Note: there are some users, who have had zero issues with USB 2.0 externals, but I, and many others, have observed some major issues. Those observations are reflected in the above linked article.

The ultimate is probably a 3x internal I/O setup, with eSATA for the two additional HDD's is next best.

Good luck,

Hunt