8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 9:12 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I am planing on having a new system box built for me, but I am getting confused about chipsets and processors and what is about to be released by Intel and will it be afordable or be silly money?  Is there a guide out there that a non geek can get his head round?

As I understand it, X79 Sandy Bridge E boards will replace X58, but they need the high end i7 processors.   Is it likely that we will be able to get a MB that supports >16Gb and the i7 2700K ?  It's all too confusing.

• 1. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Motherboards that support > 16 GB memory are plenty, but affordable is another thing, because with only 4 DIMM slots, you can only increase memory beyond 16 GB by using 8 GB sticks for a total of 32 GB. However, 4 x 4GB goes for around $ 100, 4 x 8GB goes for around $ 650. If you are looking for an i7-2700K, look at the Z68 chipset, because of the SRT support.

• 2. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

X58 24 gig max (990x is highest)

P67/ Z68 32G (2700 is highest)

X79 64gig ram with a mobo with 8 x slots (3960 is highest) releasing in 1 week supposedly

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
              Jim_Simon Level 9

Man, if you got money to burn a 3960 with 64 GB of RAM would be a sweet system.

• 4. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I wonder if going from 32 GB to 64 GB would show any noticeable performance difference and it certainly is not the optimal solution if BFTB is any consideration.

It would definitely be less than optimal if you were to equip such a system with only two raid0 arrays as Scott often advises. Mind you, his advise is good for people on a budget, but talking about an i7-3960X with 32 or 64 GB memory is not for people on a budget.

• 5. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

I agree. The desirable LGA 2011 CPUs would be a total waste of money if one isn't going to add additional lane-hogging PCI-e cards such as a discrete RAID card and some digital video I/O cards any time soon. This is because more than half of the CPU's 40 PCI-e lanes go unused and wasted in such relatively simple configurations.

And I discovered more details on the least-expensive LGA 2011 CPU, the i7-3820: The limited unlock is set to a maximum of six clock speed bins above the stock Turbo maximums (which in this case are 39x for one or two cores, or 38x for three or four cores - three and two steps, respectively, above the totally stock 3.6GHz that the CPU in question is rated at). This means that with the overclock set to 45x (the maximum allowed on the i7-3820), the CPU would be running at 4.4GHz with all four cores (on limited unlocked CPUs, the multi-core multiplier cannot be set independently of the single-core multiplier whereas the fully unlocked CPUs allow independent adjustments of multiple-core and single-core multipliers). However, the BCLK on LGA 2011 will have additional multipliers of 1.25x and 1.67x in addition to the default 1.0x (the default BCLK frequency will remain 100MHz, just as in LGA 1155). So, theoretically, with all four cores of the i7-3820 in use, we could have an entry-level SB-E CPU running at a whopping 7.33GHz (however, there is a catch: Very few of the entry-level SB-E CPUs can run stably above the 4.7GHz or so that current LGA 1155 CPUs can easily reach stably).

As a result, I still stand by my claim that the i7-3820 is worth buying only if one is planning to upgrade to a more desirable hexa-core CPU some time in the near future. At stock (3.8GHz turbo with all four cores in operation), the 3820 does not perform sufficiently better than an i7-2700K to justify spending an extra $150 or so just for an X79 motherboard (relative to the average price of a good LGA 1155 Z68 motherboard).

• 6. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

realistically i think we will continue to sell a good # of the 2600/2700 systems. 95% of what we ship is OCed anyway..

however the 3630k OCed and the 8 slot board is not that much more. $500ish or a $100 less for the 4 slot board.

5.5 does seem to use a whole lot more ram

Scott

ADK

• 7. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

I'd love to see benchmarks of the stock 3930, myself.

• 8. Re: Chipsets & Processors - is there a guide?
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

As the OP I feel better placed to go ahead, and ironically find myself in a similar position to my original plan - albiet mostly by happy accident as a lot of guess work went into that plan.  I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD with the little 20Gb SSD on the board, but mainly because it looked promising on Tom's Hardware. I did not know that SRT support was limited to that chipset.  I was going with an i7 2600K but was not aware of the 2700K, and I did not know that realisitically speaing, there was a 16Gb memory limit on the budget MBs.   It's not that I am particularly on a budget, but my current Q9550 with 8Gb runs Photoshop CS5 quite smoothly, so my investment is mainly for Premiere Pro and an all round snaippier system.  I also want to replace my ATI Radeon 4850 2Gb. 

As things stand I don't feel inclined to go beyond 16Gb in a Z68 MB with the i7 2700K.  Thanks for your help.