10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 3:30 AM by Nicknamer

How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?

Nicknamer Level 1

Good day,

I am a web designer specialized in cross-browser rendering (IE6 through Chrome13), DHTML and making sites user-friendly. But I'm starting my own business next year, so I should be able to create basic graphics, too. I found a CD with a Macromedia pack on it (DW, Flash and FW), all version 8. But I am confused, because I see screenshots of CS3 versions that look much older than my FW interface. Where does version 8 stand in relationship to CS3 and up? I would need to know for the tutorials I want to study.

And if version 8 is substantially worse than newer versions, what important things would one be able to do with those newer versions that cannot be done with version 8?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Fireworks 8 was the last version produced by Macromedia. After buying out Macromedia, Adobe named the next version CS3. Version 8 is still usable, but is missing a lot of features of the more recent versions, like the ability to design multiple pages in one document. Why not download the trial version of Fireworks CS5.1 and compare the two versions for yourself?

• 2. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
            Nicknamer Level 1

Thanks for replying, Linda. You asked: "Why not download the trial version of Fireworks CS5.1 and compare the two versions for yourself?" The answer is that I've just started with the program, even with making graphics myself -- others used to do it for me up 'till now. I would think that one can only assess program versions by try-out if one is more or less proficient in its use.

Of more value to me now would be to know which functions CS5 would have that 8 doesn't. You said that with CS5 one can design multiple pages in one document. Would there be other important improvements?

Also, I still wonder why CS3 (5 also?) has a much more old-fashioned interface than version 8? They compare like Windows 95 and Vista.  

• 3. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
              Paevo Kelley Level 2

FW CS5 has a lot of features designed for creating interactive prototypes. I personally wouldn't bother using them, as I do everything myself and confine that sort of thing to coding in DW. But if you have a large firm with the time and resources, this could be quite useful...

• 4. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
                Nicknamer Level 1

Hey Paevo,

Am I correct that you are saying: "If you are proficient in HTML & CSS coding, and never make prototypes in a graphics program, there is little need to upgrade to CS5."? Because I am indeed proficient in that, and I'm not planning on using FW to make page prototypes -- I make matters with HTML & CSS right away, and through screenshots that I put online let the client see the progress and comment on matters.

[For the rest, I do like what I've seen and been able to do so far with FW! ]

• 5. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
                  Paevo Kelley Level 2

That's basically my opinion; for instance I never use any of the web layer, hotspot, etc. features. I'd rather just create a storyboard showing rollover effects, etc. But if you can work it into your workflow within FW, then youu might grow to like it...

• 6. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
                    JimBabbage

I'd argue that point, though. The Web layer is also where slice objects reside, which are *key* to custom image optimization. Hotspots - meh - I use them for prototyping but I don't export that information out to a final web page. But slices - I use this feature all the time

• 7. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
                      Nicknamer Level 1

Thanks for jumping into the discussion, which already answered some questions. I am left with two remaining questions at this moment:

1. If I were to start using the slice function, which I very probably would not use intensively, would it be sensible for me to upgrade to CS5? 8 has a rather extensive slice function already, as I found out.
                      2. Just out of curiosity: is it indeed so that as of CS3 FW has gotten a much more old-fashioned interface, and if yes, why is that? Here is what my FW8 looks like on Windows Vista Basic: http://prntscr.com/3xx7o.
                      • 8. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
                        Linda Nicholls Level 4

If you are creating images for web pages, you will likely use slicing a lot. There isn't much difference in slicing from one version of the program to the other. The interface of FW 8 was created by Macromedia. The CS5 interface has been updated to resemble the interfaces of other Adobe software. I don't think it looks older. Just different.

• 9. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
                          Jim_Babbage Level 4

There have been some improvements in terms of gradient dithering and some, but as Linda says, the optimization algorithms are mostly the same. In general, you get a 30 - 50% smaller file when optimizing images using Fireworrks, rather than Photoshop or Illustrator. That's been true for a long time.

• 10. Re: How does 8 relate to CS3 and up?
                            Nicknamer Level 1

Thanks for your help, folks. Although I would say that creating and using images for web pages without slicing is daily routine in many web design companies over here, all my questions have been answered.