5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 4:00 AM by tonyharmer

MP4 doesn't run in epub...

Hans Fidom

Hi all,

First of all: I'm impressed by CS 5.5.

Problem: although I follow the instructions, I'm not able to export InDesign-files containing mp4-movies to epub.

Using exactly the same material in Pages, exporting to epub does work!

Question: does InDesign change the format of movies into something else than mp4?

If so, how can I tell InDesign not to change the mp4-files, so that I can export proper epubs?

Or am I missing something obvious? The instruction videos tell me this should be really simple, so I'm feeling a bit dumb.

Thanks in advance

Hans Fidom

Amsterdam

hansfidom@home.nl

• 1. Re: MP4 doesn't run in epub...
          tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

While you may well be able to view them from Pages if you're sideloading them to your iPad, you're probably not actually generating a valid ePub file that can be used on the iBookStore for example.

Use Sigil (free, from Google) to examine your ePub. You need to check that the wrapper/container (MP4) holds a valid file like .h264 or AAC.

Hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MP4 doesn't run in epub...
            Hans Fidom Level 1

Thanks Tony,

Sigil says about the mp4-file: 'This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).'

I think it's not the quality of the file indeed; I converted it using Adobe Media Encoder. If it wasn't a valid .h264, the epub made in Pages wouldn't work in iBooks either, would it? But it does!

But... what does Sigil's remark mean? How to make the file reachable?

Best wishes

Hans

• 3. Re: MP4 doesn't run in epub...
              tonyharmer Level 3

I think that usually means there's a problem with the filename - check the filename is correct in Sigil.

If it wasn't a valid .h264, the epub made in Pages wouldn't work in iBooks either, would it? But it does!

Yes, it quite possibly would if it is being sideloaded. Check the file in Adobe Digital Editions and see if it works there, also.

• 4. Re: MP4 doesn't run in epub...
                Hans Fidom Level 1

Hi Tony

Thanks again. The problem is fixed now. It was different than I thought, though: the instruction videos say that the controller would work only in Flash files - at least that was what I understood -, so I did not activate the controller. Yeah... without controller no movie... So I'm feeling even dumber now, but happy that the problem evaporated.

Best

Hans