2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 7:17 AM by Peter Spier

Automation of text when doing data merge

321Gaz

I have a job to do every three weeks and it involves using data merge which is no problem. The problem comes  as the amount of text to fit into boxes varies with each entry which cause a major headache sizing type as what is correct for one window will not be correct for the next one. So here is the challenge is there any way i can tell the various text boxes with their "fields" in to resize the text to fit if there is overmatter in them??

I am using CS3 on a Mac just so you know

• 1. Re: Automation of text when doing data merge
          Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

with the "out of the box" indesign, sadly no. AFAIK data merge will place the text where the placeholder is, but can't tell the text what point size to be based on the amount of text being put in.

with a third party plugin like emdata... not sure as i don't use it, but there are many third party plugins which behave similarly to data merge but do much more. check out the third party plug-ins for indesign on the adobe main website.

with a scripted solution... not sure, something that the scripters in the indesign scripting forum might be able to answer.

harbs from intools has a solution but will only do one textbox at a time: http://in-tools.com/article/scripts-blog/fun-with-text-fitting-in-indesign/

in one of the last posts in his article, another poster has asked exactly what the OP has asked for, but at the moment it remains a one at a time solution.

• 2. Re: Automation of text when doing data merge
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I have memories of someone posting a script a year or two ago for fitting names on badges in a data merge. Don't recall who, or if it would work on a multi-line frame, but it might be worth a search.