11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 3:38 AM by Peter Spier

Flexible set up including text columns and tables?

Nina_Storm Level 1

I have to set up tables (annual report) and some text notes in between.

I should like to have  as few frames as possible on each page - intended for InCopy workflow later on.

If I paste the regular column text into the frames containing the tables as anchored text I have to apply different baseline shift for each anchored text frame, which is not a nice workflow.

Can you recommend a clever and flexible way to set this up which will make the tables and text boxes flow if more rows or more text are added?

Best regards

Nina Storm

• 1. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not sure I understand this, but it sounds to me like the tables are of variable height (not surprising) and probably have some space before or space after applied, and it's pushing the text in between all over the place, but you'd like that text to be aligned to the baseline grid.

If you want only the intervening text to align to the grid (and of course you need to set up the grid correctly), you can use a unique paragraph style for that text and add align to grid as a property. this will push it down to the next grid line after each table (far better than using baseline shift). If the tables need to align to the grid as well, I suspect you will need to set up the row height to an exact amount and that it will need to be a multiple of the leading so adding or deleting a row doesn't throw it off, and any space before/after should add up to a multiple of the leading value, too.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?
            Nina_Storm Level 1

Thank you Peter - You got the idea. My problem is that the tables are full column with and the text is 2 column.

However - if I make all frames 1 column and apply a paragraph style saying split to 2 columns to the txt, I think I can make it work.

The tables needs to have a style "None" splitting :-)

Best regards

Nina Storm

• 3. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?
              RodneyA Level 3

Right -- its the paragraph CONTAINING the table that you need to set to span both columns.

There ought to be a way to anchor tables (or other two-column frames) so that they automatically appear at the top or bottom of the page following their text reference, but I've yet to be able to get this to work in two-column pages.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?
                Nina_Storm Level 1

Rodney - I managed to set up my document this way.

One problem left is that I cannot auto-fit the entire frame (option - command - c) - nothing happens.

No big problem, but I use it for marking up when I want the next frame to start.

:-)

• 5. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?

I think that's a "limitation" of spanning columns, and would also not work on threaded text, I suspect, except for the last frame in the thread.

You can use keep options in the paragraph style to start in a new frame, or insert a frame break, and not worry about changing the frames size, whcih might be better anyway if you have to do editing later.

• 6. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?
                    Nina_Storm Level 1

Hmm, I now wonder if it is possiblel to make the columns split without applying a break - kind of balance colums?

• 7. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking at this point. Perhaps a screen capture?

• 8. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?
                        Nina_Storm Level 1

columnBreak.jpg

A text between tables - balance columns - do I have to put a break manually?

• 9. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?

To be honest, I don't do a lot with sapnned or split columns, but I don't think so. In this screen shot I have a full-width table, then several paragraphs set to split to two columns, followed by some text not split. I think this is different from what Rodney was suggesting, and likely different from how you are set up. I have used a single-column frame and split paragraphs that need to be in tow columns, rather than using a two column frame and spanning the table.

Split column.png

• 10. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?
                            Nina_Storm Level 1

But this is exactly how I do it.

Did you make the text split manually or by style?

I am talking about the exact breaking point from one split column to the next?

• 11. Re: Flexible set up including text columns and tables?

For this test I did it manually, but I have no reason to think it would behave differently as part of a style. As far as I know, ID is going to attempt to balance the two columns automatically. If there is not enough text to split into two columns it won't appear to split  but you'll still see any added spacing and add just enough text to be wider than the spit column width and your one line will have a gap in it for the column gutter.

OK, I just defined a style with the split attribute, and yes, it does work the same way. If you have only one paragraph, that paragraph splits. If you have more than one, the block splits, reading down through the first paragraph to the second  (presuming the linecounts work that way) in the first column before splitting to the second column. The paragraphs don't split individually. ID is balancing my columns automatically and will adjust the break if I edit, and if the line count is not divisible by 2 the short column is on the right.