4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 10:03 AM by Joel Cherney

German language hyphenating

phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay so I'm working on a German document.  I don't speak German.  This particular layout requires hyphenation, so I was going to set the language to German so that it will hyphenate correctly.  But there are 4 different choices for German.  Anyone know which one I should use?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: German language hyphenating
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The Latest

(I wouldn't know either if there are substantial differences. I only once saw a very minor change going from "Dutch: Ye Olde Rules" to "Dutch: 2005 Reform", and I think it has to do with the New Rules allowing just a bit more.)

• 2. Re: German language hyphenating
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

By the way: don't assume the German hyphens are correct just because you selected the correct language. InDesign does a good guess at most points but the careful reader may spot an error or two (although mostly in either imported words -- in your case, for example, English names -- or in highly technical semi-imported words, Greek or Latin-derived).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: German language hyphenating
              phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks I couldn't even tell what was really the latest as there were two versions with "2006" in the name.  One says something about Swiss, and I don't know what the connection is.  I picked the other.  At any rate, I sent it on with a note saying there was no way I could totally verify this document and that they needed someone who understands German to proof it!

• 4. Re: German language hyphenating
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

By the way: don't assume the German hyphens in any language are correct just because you selected the correct language. InDesign does a good guess at most points but the careful reader may spot an error or two.

Fixed that for you

Seriously. I wish there was some setting for "Just use a bleepin' hyphenation dictionary, and don't apply whatever algorithmic hyphenation process you usually use on words not in the hyphenation dictionary." When Somali gets mistagged as English, its attempts to hyphenate cause my Somali translator to bust up laughing.

I don't know which languages are hyphenated by dictionary and which ones are hyphenated by algorithm in ID, but we just have a rule in our translation firm "don't use hyphenation, unless your work is being carefully reviewed by the original translator." Saves us some grief.