2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 12:28 PM by the_wine_snob

Seamlessly piecing together videos from different platforms/editing software...

Vid_2011

Hello,

I am part of a collaboration video project where a few people will be shooting and editing their own videos. These videos will then be pieced together to make one seamless video. I’ve been tasked with the final editing and piecing.

Some will be using PC's and Some Macs. They will all be using different editing software. I will be putting these separate video's together using Premiere Elements.

Can someone give me some advice on how best to achieve this? Is there a a particular format that I should ask them all to submit, to make sure I am able to edit in Adobe Premier elements? I want to give them this information before they start filming and saving their work.

Thank you so much in advance.

• 1. Re: Seamlessly piecing together videos from different platforms/editing software...
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on the types of camcorders people are shooting their video on.

But ideally you should have a common format that they will all give you their video in. You definitely do NOT want to mix raw media from a variety of sources or you will run into all kinds of problems!

For standard definition video, demand they all give you their video in either DV-AVI (for PCs) or DV-MOV (for Mac) format. 720x480 with the DV codec. This you can combine in a project set up for DV.

For hi-def, demand they all give you their video in 1440x1080 MTS or M2T format. This video you will be able to combine in a project set up for HDV.

These are very standard formats and resolutions, and every editing application should have the ability to output in these formats. But, as I say, demand that it be in a standard format or your job will be like herding cats.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Seamlessly piecing together videos from different platforms/editing software...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve, and his admonition on not mixing vastly different formats.

Now, Adobe's PrPro CS 5.5, and especially with a CUDA/MPE card, does a much better job at allowing one to mix footage, but at a much higher price, plus for smoothest editing, a fully certified CUDA nVidia card. This ARTICLE will give you more info on PrPro CS 5.5 and CUDA/MPE.

Otherwise, choosing a "master" format/COCEC, and either getting the Exported/Output footage in a matching format/CODEC, or doing a conversion to that chosen "master" format/CODEC, will solve tons of potential problems.

Good luck,

Hunt