4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 11:09 AM by frustratedofwix

PE10 Pixelated images in monitor

frustratedofwix

I have just upgraded to PE10 and, after some initial start up problems I had, it seems to be running fine (so far - haven't tried any major edits yet) except that when I play the loaded video files (and stills for that matter) the images in the editor monitor pixelate (they seem ok in pause mode) making editing a little awkward as the images aren't clear (of course).

I created a still title and, whilst not so bad, the text blurs when in the monitor play mode.

I don't think it is a render issue as there have been no major edits merely cuts and shortening of clips.There is no red line in the timeline but I have 'hit' return anyway and the 'Render' information box doesn't materialise.

I am running Windows 7 - 64 bit and this is the version I dowloaded. Screen resolution for the PC monitor is set to 1920x1080.

The video files were shot on a Canon XM2 in 16:9 format and appear fine when run through the camera.

The PE project settings are for 16:9 PAL.

A burned disc plays ok on a televsion through a DVD player.

I took a screen dump of the video whilst playing  the video and, although the image is quite small (upload constraints), careful scrutiny will see the pixelation

pixelation screen dump.jpg

How can I improve the play resolution of the editor monitor?

Brian

• 1. Re: PE10 Pixelated images in monitor
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can right-click on the image on the Monitor and set it to Best.

Other than that, there's not much more you can do (depending on your computer monitor's resolution and setup). That it looks good on the DVD says that you've got a good workflow from miniDV.

• 2. Re: PE10 Pixelated images in monitor
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though the un-Rendered footage on the Timeline is seldom seen as "pixelated," it can be blurry.

There will likely be red lines above the Title, and possibly some of the Video and Still Images. If one Renders, by pressing Enter/Return, those should turn green, and then one will have the best possible playback.This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Also, having chosen a correct Project Preset, at New Project, can be very, very important for best quality. The Project's Preset should match the Video Assets - the Source Video Files.

Also, if the Still Images are overly-large, Scaling in PS, or PSE, prior to Import, will likely be helpful for both quality and for the necessary processing overhead, required to internally Scale the Images. For Scaling Still Images, this ARTICLE goes into more depth.

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE10 Pixelated images in monitor
              frustratedofwix Level 1

Doing as you suggest Steve has made an improvement - especially if I keep the monitor relatively small. It is still a bit blurry but that could be the subject matter. Still not the quality I would have expected from the upgrade though.

Thanks for the reply

Brian

• 4. Re: PE10 Pixelated images in monitor
                frustratedofwix Level 1

Thanks for the advice Hunt.The photos I was originally using were unedited and therefore rather large - pixelwise. Smaller photos don't seem to have the same problem as reported.

Brian