5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 4:54 PM by Joeminator

AE doesn't retain multi-cam edits from Premiere Pro CS5.5

mastethehero

Hello everyone,

I am nearing completion of an indie short film and I am now onto the final stage of post where I am adding color grading and VFX.  However, there is one scene in particular which is not importing properly in After Effects, or rather... it is but the edits I made are completely missing.

It is a fight scene that I edited using multi cam in Premiere Pro and in PP, I set up the composition to have multiple video layers, then created a new sequence and activated multicam and made my edits from there.  Well when I bring it into AE for CC and grading all of those edits I made are present, but they do not switch between the different cameras.  So I have a sequence with like 20 different edits, but it all stays on the ONE camera, basically the camera that is at the top most layer.  Also, since After Effects is very video editing friendly, trying to fix each of these cuts to point to the right camera is strangely, very time consuming!

Am I importing this bad boy incorrectly?  What I do is select each of the clips in the fight sequence and then right click replace with After Effects composition.  Everything imports properly EXCEPT the edits, is there anyway around this or this going to be a new feature or patch for the Adobe software?

Also, one more question and I'm done, what determines how dynamic link is used between PP and AE?  I've often found that AE will not completely import my PP project or individual sequence unless it's a very short and small sequence, but anything that has multiple videos and files seems to never import.  In other cases the dynamic link bar where it's loading the project never responds or move and the program acts as if it has crashed.  I often run into issues exiting PP and not being able to re-open it again, (unless I exit the processes) and this seems to mess up the dynamic link between AE and PP.  I'd like a little more information so I have a better way to re-engage the dynamic link.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: AE doesn't retain multi-cam edits from Premiere Pro CS5.5
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't think multcam edits in Premiere are intended to come in as separate shots via Dynamic Link represented by individual layers in an AE timeline.  I would export a lossless video file from Premiere for use in AE. 

It will make primary and secondary color correction a bit of a challenge if the cameras didn't match in the first place.

• 2. Re: AE doesn't retain multi-cam edits from Premiere Pro CS5.5
            mastethehero Level 1

The cameras definitely didn't match up in the first place, I have to whip out the old "separate by edits" script in AE to separate the merged clip.  Man, if I had known AE dealt with multicam like this, I would have told Dennis at the CCW conference!

• 3. Re: AE doesn't retain multi-cam edits from Premiere Pro CS5.5
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
              ...trying to fix each of these cuts to point to the right camera is strangely, very time consuming!

Yep, strangely. But all you need to fix that is to doubleclick nested AE comp and disable eyeballs of upper layers until you get proper camera view...

Layers names in that nested comp, which represents your whole nested PrPro sequence, match exactly the clips names. Vertical layers order represents cuts in your master multicam sequence. Playhead is linked timewise, so when you jumped into that nested comp its in a proper position in terms of time...

• 4. Re: AE doesn't retain multi-cam edits from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                Joeminator

This is something I'm struggling with as well.  I have several multicam edits in Premiere and it doesn't go over to AE.  My question is slightly different than OP.  Is there a way to RASTERIZE the multicam nested sequence so that it actually creates the cut clips in the master sequence as opposed to the nested sequence with special instructions for changing views?

• 5. Re: AE doesn't retain multi-cam edits from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                  Joeminator Level 1

A ha!  No, not rasterizing.  I had done this in the last film I'd worked on but couldn't for the life of me figure out how I'd done it.  I was replacing each scene with an Ae comp.  Except for my multicam clips, there I went INTO the nested sequence and replaced each clip individually with Ae comps, did the CC and grading and then left them were they were.  Then the multicam works with the Ae comps linked inside of the nested sequence.  Voila!  Not as elegant as taking your entire master sequence into Ae but really Ae should be used as an extension inside of Pr.  Just my $0.02