2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 12:57 PM by NewsChannel10

Premiere Pro 5.0.3 Will not open any previous project

NewsChannel10

Win 7 64-bit

8GB Ram

Core-i7 processor...

Premiere Pro 5.0.3

Out of the blue last week, one of our installations lost the ability to open any previously saved project. Also unable to use the encode que functionality...  This did not happen after any updates to either windows or any adobe products.

Premiere opens up completely, and you are able to create a new project, edit, and export successfully. However, if you try to re-open an project premiere hangs without any error message.

Creating simple test projects, if any video clips were imported to the project you are trying to re-open, the main screen populates, and premiere apprears to hang with "media pending". However if you create an empty project (with no video clips imported) the main screen does not even populate. Waiting long enough has no effect (left running overnight with no change...)

Complete deactivate, uninstall, clean, re-install, update again results in same issue... This system is on a domain, however the user account does have full local admin rights. I have also tried deleting the account  (removing all files and registry entries for that specific account) and having it recreated at the next login, also with no change. Same issue on other administrative accounts (I didn't bother testing with a standard user-level account, thought that would be pointless, please correct me if I was wrong...)

At this point, my gut us telling me there is some registry or disk location that for whatever reason premire (or the administrators group) does not cave the correct permissions for, but that is more of a gut feeling without any evidence to support it right now. Otherwis, I am at a loss, so I am turning to you fine folks! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Joel

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 5.0.3 Will not open any previous project
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Try holding Shift + Ctrl while launching Premiere Pro; keep them depressed while the splash screen is up. It might take a little longer to open than normal. Once you get to the Welcome dialog, create a new project, open it, close it and Premiere Pro, and then relaunch (normally) again. Try one of your previous malfunctioning projects.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro 5.0.3 Will not open any previous project
            NewsChannel10 Level 1

Thanks for the prompt response! However, this did not correct the issue.

Some additional info that I was trying to add to my original post (but was told that I did not have permission to edit that post??)...

The application log on this system has many entries for the following error:

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\Adobe\adobe premiere pro cs5\setuproyalty\resources\libraries\ARKEngine.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

along with duplicate errors for these additional .dll files - ARKCmdFS.dl, ARKCmdDefrag.dll, ARKCmdCaps.dl

A quick gogle search suggests these errors are usually related to conflicting/incompatible versions of MS Visuall C++ runtimes on the system, but since I don't know if or what version of the C++ runtimes Premiere needs, I am not sure where to proceded to decide if that is or had anything to do with the issue I am having...

Thanks!