1 2 Previous Next 76 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 6:05 PM by RonGamer

It's time for Director 12

mdmoser Level 1

Will we ever see a Director 12? Will it have some nice new features? Like exporting for iDevices...

• 1. Re: It's time for Director 12
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Will we ever see a Director 12? Will it have some nice new features? Like exporting for iDevices...

Yes, yes, and no

• 2. Re: It's time for Director 12
            ronbird

So no more Flash? drains too much power. How about moving the investment back to Director, like exporting to iDevices, or even Android.

(but Director also takes power too.....)

• 3. Re: It's time for Director 12
              mdmoser Level 1

Many great tools are now exporting as HTML5:

http://gamesalad.com/arcade

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/html5

http://tumultco.com/hype/

The great game Fieldrunners went HTML5:

http://chrome.fieldrunners.com/

In the past, Director was able to save as java. I guess it is possible to include a HTML5 exporter for more simple projects.

If Director was able to export something as HTML5, it would be ease to convert the result as an app for iOS or Android.

• 4. Re: It's time for Director 12
                ginod Level 1

Just Director 12 itself.

• 5. Re: It's time for Director 12

There may be an announcement next week some time - we'll see.

• 6. Re: It's time for Director 12
                    Adam-C Level 2

ronbird wrote:

So no more Flash? drains too much power. How about moving the investment back to Director, like exporting to iDevices, or even Android.

(but Director also takes power too.....)

Director drains wwwwaaaaayyyyy more power than Flash! Run a simple Director projector on a laptop running on batteries and it just saps the power away; Running a Flash projector or SWF doesn't come close to the same consumption.

• 7. Re: It's time for Director 12
                      Production Monkey Level 3

Adobe basically announced this week that Flash is dead. What chance does Director have?

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Adobe Systems Inc halted development of its Flash Player for mobile browsers, surrendering to Apple Inc in a war over Web standards as the company surprised investors with a restructuring plan."

If you want to stay in the game learn HTML5 and jQuery

"Adobe said it plans to infuse HTML5 technology across its entire product line over the coming years, offering increasingly sophisticated tools and services to design professionals, publishers, retailers and other businesses."

Full Article: http://news.yahoo.com/adobe-throws-towel-apple-software-war-131449990.html

Long live Director....

• 8. Re: It's time for Director 12
                        mdmoser Level 1

Well, now that Flash is considered dead, the roadmap for future versions of Director couldn't be clearer. The future is a plugin free internet and mobile apps.

• 9. Re: It's time for Director 12
                          Adam-C Level 2

Note that the announcement says they're cancelling development of Flash for mobile devices - that's not the same as saying Flash is dead... although it's a nail in the coffin for sure!

Does anybody else think that Adobe are just getting too big, with so many products it's impossible for anyone to have a proper unified view of the product line?

And does anybody else think that it would be a godsend if Adobe were to sell Director to some developers who believe in the platform and would actually try to restore it to its former glory?

• 10. Re: It's time for Director 12
                            MECS Level 1

I can’t say whether or not Adobe is getting “too big”.  I don’t know whether their perceived problems are due to allowing their product line to outgrow their resources, or if the problems lie elsewhere.  Nevertheless, it does seem apparent that they have little long range interest in keeping Director alive.  I would personally be very relieved if someone purchased Director who had the skills and interest to give it the attention it deserves.  In fact, I pray that such a thing will actually occur – and the sooner, the better.

I am not throwing stones at Adobe.  I simply feel they do not have the interest in Director, or possibly even the resources required to keep it alive and well.

Dewey

• 11. Re: It's time for Director 12
                              LingoMaster

I agree. Adobe has lost focus as to what solutions its really trying to provide for the industry.

They focused heavily on the web techonologies and then started to drop important parts that make up the techonology such as coldfusion, dreamweaver and director to name a few, and then tried to combine all of these technologies, somehow together (no filling any real solution) and making flash an over size pig.

Frankly, I think what is needed is to focus on all of the parts of the industry such as print (which you dont hear much about anymore - InDesign, Framemaker, Illustrator) , video (After Effects, Premier), Web (Dreamwearver, coldfusion, Director) and interactive media (Director) - and making each one a stronger product for each industry instead of laying all their eggs in one basket (Flash and AIR) and then getting Photoshop to fund it.

All of these technologies are important, and its a bad idea when you try to package everthing up into one.

So in the end they have alot of products that do some or most of the things you need, not great, but enough to drive people to buy something else and waste their time and money until they realize they have to go shopping for another product that might meet their needs. Adobe ends up fragmenting products and solutions that become unusable.

Adobe should get it togther otherwise someone else will, like Apple who is already ahead of you.

You should be ahead of them, instead your more interested in making money, not making the future.

• 12. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

@ LingoMaster - Have you heard the lastest Adobe news around Flash? They are no longer going to push Flash in the mobile space and instead are going to focus on HTML5. Read:
                                http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2011/11/11/clarifications-on-flash-player-for-mobile-brow sers-the-flash-platform-and-the-future-of-flash/

Adobe have made a bunch of another announcements including having a cloud based subscription to products. So Adobe is redefining itself but not in teh way you're suggesting.

In terms of the question - time for Director 12. I agree. There has been some talk and rumours around D12. Adobe have not said anything official. However, a while back, I organised an online chat with the Director team. While it did not provide all the answers people wanted, it was a genuine effort on the Adobe side to connect with the wider community. I have recently talked to Adobe product management and they are willing to have another live chat in the not too distant future which can give some hints of what's to come. I'll keep you posted.

Dean

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                  Reallingo

Sounds interesting Dean,

One thing that I find is that Adobe can go ahead and focus on the HTML5 stuff, which I dont know how well it will do because their are many websites that have converted from flash to html5 already. Their are tools available to convert flash to html5 as well. Also, many other web type products, libs and technologies exist and are being used instead of flash. What this means is by the time Adobe catches up, will the solution they provide be enough for the already converted to jump back to Adobe? Thats a question to answer.

As far as Director is concerned, I think the product has a lot of potential and would fill a very large need for developers in the mobile markets.

I currently use Director and have been for over 20 years to create game prototypes for mobile and kiosk-Interactive games using custom devices. Director allows me to create whatever I want with no limits. Its programming concept (drag and drop) surpasses anything I have seen in all my years of programming in other languages. I can teach programming concepts very quickly in Director and even extend Director's capabilities to perform things it was not intended to do. Flash cannot even compete in this area.

What I do find interesting is mobile IDE applictions are finding a very large market in the mobile world such as corona (nasty lua) liveCoder (hypercard - which its language is very simular to lingo old style) developing app for all mobile devices.

Director to me could very easily be ported as an engine to compete with these existing techonologies.

Lingo has all the commands you need to create the most complex apps and with ease.

Personally I am working on a parser for Director that will convert lingo into objective-c. Most of what I do works fine for this but I think that if Adobe focused on Director as a plateform IDE for these areas instead of web, I think Director would make a huge comback.

Anyway, my opinion.

Let me know if I would be able to join in the live chat.

• 14. Re: It's time for Director 12

@Reallingo (and all) The live chat will still happen. For now, Adobe is doing some internal discussions around new features and so once that has progressed a bit, they'll be ready to talk to the wider community. I agree with what you've said. If you're interested in being part of the prerelease discussions, email me directly (d.utian@unsw.edu.au).

Dean

• 15. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                      mdmoser Level 1

There's a thin line that will only get thinner separating conventional apps from apps made with web technologies. Soon, there wont be any separation/distinction at all. There already are tools like PhoneGap to convert web apps into plain Desktop, iOS or Android apps. That's why I think HTML5 is the way to go and Adobe should push some sort of HTML5 for Director as well.

• 17. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                        mdmoser Level 1

If I have to learn a new tool from scratch because of HTML5, it won't be the Adobe way again. It will be one of these:

http://tumultco.com/hype/

http://www.sencha.com/products/animator/

http://gamesalad.com/

The list of good tools will only get bigger. In the past, our hands were tight because of Flash plugin. Now we can choose freely.

• 18. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                          Yohan Yu

期待中

• 19. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                            Reallingo Level 1

Its comming and its better then you think.

• 20. Re: It's time for Director 12

So that should have been: yes, yes, and yes

• 21. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                iaestanolf

@Reallingo, I would take it that the live chat has came and gone? If there are people who know, I would love if you could spill it more detailed. I know you could be under NDA, but if it is coming, under your appreciation, how far away? A couple of years? If it is better, how much better? (just a percentage comparison might do).

My appreciation is that Director's future market is completely cold. There are some hardcore enthusiats who still push it hard, but all our teachers in our university have migrated to other technologies. It will take a really huge effort from Adobe to reposition this product on every interactive developer's mind.

• 22. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                  mdmoser Level 1

People at Adobe think Flash Stage 3D is a competitor and an alternative to Unity, but they are wrong. It won't catch up. Director is a complete tool, logical and intuitive. A new Director could give Unity a run for its money (sure the Unity evangelists disagree.)

• 23. Re: It's time for Director 12

@iaef - The live chat did not happen. Many people interested joined the prerelease forum. There may be a chat at some point once some of the iOS features are ready for public discussion. I am one of the few people that still teaches a course using Director at university.

• 24. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                      iaestanolf Level 1

@Dean, glad someone is still pushing Director to his class. How do I join the prerelease forum?

I am still wondering if Director won't be wrongly seen as an old tool out of its time, with all these HTML5 fans.

• 25. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                        mdmoser Level 1

The biggest mistake Adobe could make is to associate Director with CD-ROMs again.

• 26. Re: It's time for Director 12

@ief For more info on the prelease and joining - email me on d.utian@unsw.edu.au

One of the biggest issues students raise in my course is - why are we using Director, isn't it dated, shouldn't we use something else? For a while, people were suggesting Flash be used instead. That is no longer the case . I have had HTML5 raised by a student.

At the moment, most of the class are happy to use Director and find it valuable. The reasins I use for why we're using Director include:

- it is still a very powerful application for our needs with no other tool quite matching all it offers

- the course is much more than learning a piece of software, it is about the skills, techniques and understanding that could be transferred to other applications and contexts

- we do a large amount of image work using Photoshop - which is an industry standard (students still place a lot of value on technical skills)

If Director looked modern and had cutting edge features, I'm sure there would be less negativity to it.

• 27. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                            Milky_au Level 3

What's this I see...

Official Olympic games website - with a made with Director (shockwave) minigame?

There's still life in the old dog…

http://www.olympic.org/official-london-2012-mini-game

It’s time for the Director 12 resurrection!!!

• 28. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                              mdmoser Level 1

Is Director 12 around the corner yet? Wake up Adobe!

• 29. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                Reallingo Level 1

Yes its around the corner.

• 30. Re: It's time for Director 12

Adobe was at Casual Connect just recently doing some demos there. Maybe I should push for that live chat that was talked about a while back. Not sure if there are any demos online from Connect. Here's one from GDC earlier this year, showing what Adobe has been working on - export for iOS: http://youtu.be/NkCksUp61hg 

Dean

• 31. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                    BingKBMMAdobe Level 1

We need Adobe Director 12! I need it! I cannot wait its logo!!

• 32. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                      colourpixels

I would love to be able to use Director again for IOS apps, it seems like a great match and better than other tools I'm currently using like livecode. Fingers crossed!

• 33. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                        mdmoser Level 1

I hope this includes Director as well:

"Adobe said it plans to infuse HTML5 technology across its entire product line"

• 34. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                          BingKBMMAdobe Level 1

I love Director 12!! Release,NOW!

• 35. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                            BingKBMMAdobe Level 1

If not released so what? Moved to Edge?

• 36. Re: It's time for Director 12

Hi BingKMMAdobe and others
                                                                              Good to see excitement around Director and a desire for a new version to be released soon. A lot of people in the Director community see what a great product it is and would like it to regain some level of status both within Adobe and the industry. The reason for its decline has been simply that the product has fallen behind current trends due to insufficient feature development. The iOS publishing feature would be a significant step forward. Keep in mind, Adobe have many flagship products and when they talk about generall strategies, like HTML5, it generally applies to these products rather than everything. So, keep up your enthusiasm for Director, share your thoughts on what you'd like the product to do. However, realise that the Director transformation will take time. 

• 38. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                                BingKBMMAdobe Level 1

Love Director 12!

• 39. Re: It's time for Director 12
                                                                                  BingKBMMAdobe Level 1

I luv it

1 2 Previous Next