7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 5:31 AM by Colin Brougham

XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file

steveplay10365

With FCP we were able to browse/perview the files on the SXS cards, set in and out point, then ingest it.  I hae not found a way other than importing everything in Premiere.  I just want to inport the usable footage as to not clog up my scratch disk with junk I will never use.  Is there a way to brose before import and choose??

• 1. Re: XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file
          Colin Brougham Level 6

No; with Premiere Pro, you're working on the native footage as shot by the camera. FCP requires that you rewrap on import--that's what Log and Transfer is--so that's why you can selectively import what you want.

If you use XDCAM Browser (from Sony), you might be able to trim the clips, and then import them, but Pr will never have the ability to do this, simply because it's against the native format support model.

• 2. Re: XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Hold on...

I've seen video demos of folks previewing footage, setting In and Out points using the Media Browser before import.  And since when does PP have to import every clip in the folder?  It's very easy to pick and choose which clips you want to import.

• 3. Re: XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Ahem...

I just want to inport the usable footage as to not clog up my scratch disk with junk I will never use.

This implies moving or copying footage on import/ingest. Premiere Pro does not do that. FCP does. Media Browser doesn't come into the equation, since it does not move, copy, trim, or transcode any media when it is used for import.

• 4. Re: XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, but the solution here would be to copy everything over.  Use Media Browser to import the stuff you want.  Use a file manager to delete the rest.  It may not be done the same way, but you kind of made it sound like the end result simply wasn't possible.

• 5. Re: XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

That's not the solution. Read the question again. The OP is ingesting from the SxS cards. With FCP, when you browse, mark, and ingest from tapeless media, you get new trimmed files in the destination of your choice. With Pr, when you browse, mark, and ingest from tapeless media (using the Media Browser)--that's it. You're working on the original files, on the original media, in their totality. That's a totally different ball of wax.

So, no--the end result, as the OP envisages, is not possible.

• 6. Re: XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file
                    steveplay10365 Level 1

After posting I did download the Sony Browser...had 4 clips on my SXS card, connected camera to puter, opened browser...opened each file, was able to put an in point and out point, then make a new clip using "in point/" out point...then copied those clips to my scratch disk/chosen folder, then imported those "cleaned up" clips into my project.  So, guess that is possible....Now for the other part....lol..2 oart question now..

Is there a way to rename the files sequentially at any point in the workflow?  I am in the Air Force and we are required to use what is called a "VIRIN" on all of our files.  it is the date, a service identifier, personalized ID, then the file #, example, 111108-F-RC913-001, 111108-F-RC913-002, and so on...so if I have oh say 50 files the last would have "050" on the end...just wondering....

• 7. Re: XDCAM EX workflow...selective import?  Is there a way to browse, set in & out point of file
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

That depends. When you trimmed the clips with XDCAM Browser, what output format did you use? If it's an encapsulated file format--meaning all the media and metadata is in one file--you can do that using any file renaming utility. Even something like Adobe Bridge will let you do this with the Batch Rename feature.

However, if you went back to, say, an XDCAM-EX structure, you probably shouldn't do that. The reason is that the format support in Premiere Pro is pretty specific when it comes to the folder structure and file naming conventions used by each particular. That said, Pr is usually OK with XDCAM-EX files when you pull them out of the structure; you'd lose information like timecode and any clip metadata, but you can then go ahead and rename the files. It would be theoretically possibly to use XDCAM Browser to add this information as metadata, though; I guess you'd have to find out if that's a suitable solution, or if it has to be associated with the file names themselves.

Incidentally, are you on a Mac or PC with your Pr installation? If you're on a Mac, you could continue to use FCP to Log and Transfer the files to MOV (or use this option in XDCAM Browser, if it exists--I don't recall), and then rename those files at will. So long as you have FCP installed on the same machine, Pr will allow you to import the XDCAM-EX MOVs. Of course, you're not working with Pr's native 64-bit importers at that point, so you need to pick what is most important to your workflows.

1 person found this helpful